• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Very Old Por Larranaga Cabinet Seleccion Box. Any info is appreciated

Magnaflux777

Hello Folks,
I recently purchased this old Por Larranaga cabinet box. This appears to be authentic and I was curious if anyone may have any knowledge on how old this may be, was this to be shipped out of Cuba (hence the label), or any other information one might have. Thank you kindly for any assistance and I hope you enjoy your cigars in good health.
Magnafluxpor larranaga 1.jpgpor larranaga 2.jpgpor larranaga 7.jpgpor larranaga 8.jpgpr larranaga 4.jpgpor larranaga 9.jpg

Hello Folks,
I recently purchased this old Por Larranaga cabinet box. This appears to be authentic and I was curious if anyone may have any knowledge on how old this may be, was this to be shipped out of Cuba (hence the label), or any other information one might have. Thank you kindly for any assistance and I hope you enjoy your cigars in good health.
MagnafluxView attachment 85329View attachment 85330View attachment 85331View attachment 85332View attachment 85333View attachment 85334
What about the bottom of the box?

I’ve never seen a clasp like that on a PL cab, that is wild. Based on just what we can see of the wood and clasp this pre-dates the 60s for sure, so basically any time pre-embargo. I am guessing the seleccion central designation means it was for domestic consumption, since PL was primarily consumed in-country for most of history. Bad record keeping and lack of primary source date is going to make it harder to narrow, especially because there is so much absolute bullshit info out there and so many rule exceptions (Cuba is Cuba). Very cool find.

I’ve never seen a clasp like that on a PL cab, that is wild. Based on just what we can see of the wood and clasp this pre-dates the 60s for sure, so basically any time pre-embargo. I am guessing the seleccion central designation means it was for domestic consumption, since PL was primarily consumed in-country for most of history. Bad record keeping and lack of primary source date is going to make it harder to narrow, especially because there is so much absolute bullshit info out there and so many rule exceptions (Cuba is Cuba). Very cool find.
The more posts of yours I read, the more I like you.

Reactions: MX
Hello folks,
Than you for the replies. I had a very bad migraine thursday and half day friday so been out of commission. There is nothing i can see on the bottom. I am considering having the crack repaired by someone who does that type of woodwork.
Magnaflux

That is an interesting box, and like Phil, I've never seen that box clasp before. That being said, boxes prior to the revolution, weren't centralized like they are today. It was up to the individual factories to make their own. So, that's most likely why you don't see a lot of variation today. I wish I could nail it down to decade, but definitely pre-revolution. So, that box would be between 1939 - 1962, considering 1939 was when they started with the tax stamps.

Interesting that it doesn't name the vitola inside. Or, have "Made In Havana - Cuba" stamped on the box in English as was common back then.

I forgot to say that on the side of the box it says Romanos. Did a quick search but found nothing yet. Will post a Pic after we get back home. Maybe this added info will give you gurus something to go on. The amount of knowledge you folks have is amazing. Thank you kindly for all your help.
Magnaflux

I have found absolutely nothing about Por Larranaga Romanos. If anyone can assist with any info or site I should look at let me know. Thank you kindly and have a nice day.

I have found absolutely nothing about Por Larranaga Romanos. If anyone can assist with any info or site I should look at let me know. Thank you kindly and have a nice day.
I've never heard of it either! Interesting indeed. I wonder if the Central designation means the Americas?