• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

US customs and border protection yellow tape

Unusual turn of events. Seems these are being inspected By US customs in the country the cigars are departing from and not here in the USA. I have never heard of packages being inspected by our Gov't in a foreign country. Quite bizarre!

Unusual turn of events. Seems these are being inspected By US customs in the country the cigars are departing from and not here in the USA. I have never heard of packages being inspected by our Gov't in a foreign country. Quite bizarre!
Perhaps that makes more sense if they know that suspect packages are mainly coming from one country.

Wilkey

I know a guy who got the yellow tape as well. He had a few (3) casualties in the package, but like I told him, it could be a lot worse!! :whistling:

He said that they were sealed back up and sent along. Guess he was very lucky they were not looking for cigars.

So are they building a case against a vendor, for embargo or duties issues? Are they making a list and checking it twice? Is there a reason why they would need the recipient to accept the package?

So are they building a case against a vendor, for embargo or duties issues? Are they making a list and checking it twice? Is there a reason why they would need the recipient to accept the package?

One of my best friends works for customs in South Africa. He examines produce (fruit, mainly) that is being exported to the U.S. At least that's my understanding. I'll see what he can tell me about this and report back.

Me thinks it could be something far worse they are on the hunt for. A little more "illegal" shall we say...I don't think they would send along the pkg. after inspection... they would confiscate, destroy, and send OFAC letters to recipients if thats what they were specifically looking for.

Me thinks it could be something far worse they are on the hunt for. A little more "illegal" shall we say...I don't think they would send along the pkg. after inspection... they would confiscate, destroy, and send OFAC letters to recipients if thats what they were specifically looking for.
Customs has been known to seize the contents, slice up/destroy the contents or just let them slip through undamaged - all while wrapped up in green or yellow tape and sent to its intended destination.

No, to my understanding, customs sends out "You've been a bad boy and we took your stuff" letters. OFAC letters were sent to people who received their stuff, often some distance in the past.

I am thinking it is just an internal 1-3 mos audit for one of the Big 3 shippers (UPS, FEDEX, DHL) by customs.

No, to my understanding, customs sends out "You've been a bad boy and we took your stuff" letters. OFAC letters were sent to people who received their stuff, often some distance in the past.

I see... :blush:. I just meant the famed "Letter" in general.

thats horrible they have no respect for anyones stuff just like TSA just going through your belongings and thrashing it about. Thank God I do not have to worry about all of that.

I am thinking it is just an internal 1-3 mos audit for one of the Big 3 shippers (UPS, FEDEX, DHL) by customs.

Here's the response I got from my friend in Customs:

"That's really interesting. I don't know what they were looking for?? Maybe drugs hidden inside would be my only guess?? How did he get them by mail, courier (DHL FED EX) or what? If it was by mail or courier then it was inspected here in the U.S., why it wasn't confiscated I don't know. It should have been, as customs acts as an agent for Treasury and confiscates cuban goods. In any event he is a lucky guy they got through."

PPl The issues here is not items making it thru. As we all assume a risk when we order.

The issue is packages being opened overseas for inspection by US Customs and Border protection. Which to me is a new occurance. One I have not seen in the past cple years.

Got the tape myself a few years back. It was not yellow,but white with the USBP & Homeland Security logo on it. They let it go through without bothering to put the "contents" back into the box. About half the package went into the trash. I had to email the vendor pictures of the tape and damage before he would believe me. He could not fathom the package being opened, closed back up, and sent on it's way.

Also got a letter just before that. "Trading with the Enemy Act"....."Confiscated approx. 100 Cuban Cigars"....."Officer Javier Lopez is now destroying your contraband one by one, Blah,Blah, Blah." :sign:

Decided I had better quit after that.

PPl The issues here is not items making it thru. As we all assume a risk when we order.

The issue is packages being opened overseas for inspection by US Customs and Border protection. Which to me is a new occurance. One I have not seen in the past cple years.

How did you determine it was inspected overseas? Just curious if it was a stamp, a sticker...

How did you determine it was inspected overseas? Just curious if it was a stamp, a sticker...

I was told by the party shipping them that was happening on ther end of the world. As this had happened more frequently in the past month or so they decided to investigate.

I just got from touring the carribeans including ISOM and they did alot of inspection on that side of the country the states did no checking on this side for any one i was traveling with. my sticks were bypassed with no problems