• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Two questions for those wiser than I

Lupa Namfauk

First let me say that I have been doing a great deal of reading on here for a few weeks. I really enjoy the culture of the site and I also respect the importance placed on earned integrity based on site experience and the slow building of trust through progressive interaction/transactions with other members. I want to become in involved with a newbie trade soon, but I want to learn more about cigars from reading what the experienced members on here have to say, as well as, through the sampling of some different cigars.

My two questions are - 1. What are some reasonably priced cigars ($5 -$15/stick) that are readiy available on the market that experienced folks recommend for sampling?

2. How does one go about locating cigars for purchase that are considered "rare" for sampling?

TIA

Well, judging by your intro you're off to a pretty good start. AF Don Carlos and Ashton VSG's are imo great cigars that generally fall right around the middle of the price point you referred to. As far as Opus, if you keep your eyes peeled, you should see them within the next couple of weeks at your local B&M for their March/Easter release. Besides that, I highly recommend a newbie sampler trade or two. Through these trades I was exposed to several cigars and different brands that previously I had never even considered trying, but now are quickly becoming some of my favorites.

Welcome to CP!

If/when you're going to be in Florence let me know. I'll meet up with ya and give you a little sampler of my favs as well as a sampling of some dark island treats.

Thanks fellows. Before I do a newbie trade I want to get a coolidor set up and have a little supply of my own, which I intend to get rolling over the course of the month of March. I appreciate the tip about keeping my eye out at the local B&M over the course of the next two months for some of the more rare offerings. Thanks Kingantzs that is a very generous offer, although I am not sure exactly when I will be up in Florence. I am going to send you a PM.

Also keep an eye out for events at your local B&M, where you can try out cigars, perhaps pick up a few free samples, and get deals/sales on whatever the featured brand is.

And of course check out the Newbie Sampler Trade (NST)

As for the cheaper smokes you'll find a ton of them all over the internet. Look for bundles, as there are a lot of really great bundles you can find for under $5 per stick.

For my high-end smokes I absolutely love Ashton VSG, Padron 64 or 26 (26 is SUPER yummy), Opus X, and Davidoff. For some extra special stuff that I collect just for special occasions I love God of Fire and Forbidden X. I still have yet to try a Stradavarius - just can't get myself to spend $35 on a single cigar. Along with some of the Padron Millenium. Davidoff Millenium are wonderful too.

Holts usually has some great deals on high-end sampler packs, and Cigarbid has recently started offering up singles of high-end smokes. I just got a bunch of God of Fires for under $20 per cigar, and some Diamond Crown Maximus for under $15 per cigar. I also get a lot of VSGs and Padrons for under $10 per cigar. GREAT deals.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I am going to my local B&M who I believe has some VSG's and Padron 26's. They only real decent cigars I have smoked recently have been AF Don Carlos maddies. The one thing I am finding is that for now I will probably enjoy something along the lines of a Padron 26 #35 because it won't take as much time smoking it. I just smoked a AF Don Carlos Belicosa and it took me 1 hour and 15 minutes to smoke it before it got hot and a bit harsh, a very good smoke but a bit long for me, maybe I am not opening it up enough with the cutter (suggestions?). A couple years ago I picked up some partagas and macanundo that were about $10 a piece from Tinderbox, but I really did not have anything to compare them to at the time. I am still learning and with experience I will develop a more in tune palet.