• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Traveling

cigarsmkr

ok so im going to florida in a couple of days and I would like to bring like 5 or 6 cigars with me. Im pretty sure im going to carry on my luggage.
-This said will i have a problem taking them through the security checks along with my cutter and lighter?
-Also being without a travel case what is the best way to take them? Im assuming ziplock bag wet papertowel in corner with rubberband around it....and maby put them in some sort or container or shoe....?

They sell small, steele cigar travel cases with small trays for your water in them for about $30 or $40 (roughly) but probably just a box is your best bet. and as far as your cutter and lighter go I'm almost positive you will not be allowed to bring them. I was in the Philadelphia airport a few years ago even before the whole "no liquids" thing and I accidently had a pocket knife in my carry-on and they took it and threw it away.

Quality short rectangular Tupperware works great as an inexpensive Travelidor.

Leave the lighter & cutter at home. ( Cutters could go through check in luggage, but lighters are at risk of being confiscated even in check-in luggage. To be safe, travel with your bargain cutter, and not your gold plated Davidoff heirloom piece. )

Pre-cut the cigars before leaving home. Purchase cheap Bic with pin-up girl image at destination.

Cutters are legal in both carryon and checked baggage. Lighters must be in an approved transportation "box" and then only in checked baggage.

im going to ziplock them and put them in a box. Should a be worried about them getting dry while down in florida? should i put a moist sponge or paper towel in the box?

im going to ziplock them and put them in a box. Should a be worried about them getting dry while down in florida? should i put a moist sponge or paper towel in the box?
Compared to PA this time of year, it ain't dry in Florida.

Doc.

Enjoy your trip to Florida!! I don't think I could go with only a fiver. Something about being in Florida makes we want to enjoy cigars more. :cool:

Dont pack your cutter or lighter in carry on just to be safe! And, I agree with the tupperware. It should last till you get there and back, with out drying your cigars out. I am assuming your RH is good at present, so in an airtight container, I dont think you have to much to worry about. I just went to Georgia for a week, but checked my cutter and lighter...I wont risk TSA deciding they "need" something fancy, so leave the good stuff at home as far as a lighter and cutter go!

I put my cutters in my checked baggage, haven't had issues. You cannot however bring a lighter on a plane anymore. I've even had them take matches out of the inside of my checked baggage.

I travel all the time and here are the rules I go by YMMV.

1. Cigars never go in checked luggage. Too many reports of them being "missing" at the destination.
2. Get one of those humi-packs and throw it in your tupperdor.
3. Take a cheap plastic cutter and put it in your carry-on bag. I have never had them take one of these.
4. No lighters or matches anywhere.
5. Snag some nice wooden matches wile out at dinner.

Fish

I travel with cigars all of the time. Buy yourself an otterbox for your smokes and a colibri tranzpack for your butane lighter. I never bring any of my really nice lighters just in case, but $10 butane works just fine. The otterbox goes in my carry-on and the cutter and tranzpack go in my checked luggage. Never had a problem.

Lighters - All lighters are prohibited as carry-on items. Lighters without fuel are permitted in checked baggage. Lighters with fuel are prohibited in checked baggage, unless they adhere to DOT exemptions, which allow up to two fueled lighters if properly enclosed in a DOT approved case. If you are uncertain as to whether your lighter is prohibited, please refrain from bringing it to the airport.

Strike-anywhere Matches - Up to 4 books of safety (non-strike anywhere) matches are permitted as carry-on items, but all matches are prohibited in checked baggage.

This is what the TSA site says about lighters. Couldn't find anything specific about cutters.

edit: Found cigar cutters on there too. It says they are permitted in checked baggage and carry-on.

As and addition to this forum just got back from Phoenix and brought my cigars and my nice Colibri lighter and Colibri Tranzpack (spelling). To make a long story shoty they would not allow my lighter in the container with the collibri tranzpack in my checked luggage so be careful. Therefore, I essentially had to leave it at the airport. Never before I had a problem but for some reason (and I won't disparage them because I am not 100% pct who is right) they determined it wasn't proper because it contained butane as opposed to regular lighters. Thankfully the Jetblue supervisor said they would groundship it free of charge but it certainly defeats the purpose of following the law and purchasing containers to do so and travel. I will ty to get clarification but for now it was an annoying beginning flight home. By the way golf was great and so was the weather despite the very dry conditions that dries the cigars out at the end a bit.

When I had to fly home from Hong Kong they allowed me to bring a lighter on the plane with no problems. I asked if they wanted me to place it in the Tranzpack that I had purchased and they said no. This was even the case while I was flying around the US until I made my way back to Hawaii. Nobody said a word to me about having my X-tend lighter with me as a carry on. Maybe I was just lucky, but they had documentation at the airports I went through saying how you were allowed one lighter per passenger, butane or not. Just be cautious is all I guess.

Where in FL are you going they have some very nice cigar shops down there. If you are in the tampa or orlando area you wont even need to bring anything w/ you. Grab some matches in a bar and the cigar shops will cut or let you cut your cigars there. You will prob end up bring cigars back w/ you. Check out Corona Cigar bar if you are in orlando or all the cigar shops if you are in tampa. Miami has great cigar spots too.

Just to impart some additional information (and because I am still pissed off about it) I called Colibri and they said that for the most part there hasn't been any complaints with the exception of the Phoenix airport where they have had a few complaints which they are trying to address. At this point its more principal than anything else and I will follow up. If I hear anything else I will let everyone know.