• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Torn between two sweethearts

wasy

I'm a fan of the robusto vitola and am torn between a purchase of either Partagas Serie D No 4 or Bolivar Royal Coronas. We have any fans of either of these that care to share their experiences? I value your opinions.

I prefer the Partagas over the Bolivar, but I'm not a huge Bolivar fan anyway.

Partagas gets my vote> It's a good smoke when young IMO.
I am smoking from a box of 05 and they are great.

Brian

I love both the Bolivar Royal Coronas and the Partagas Serie D No 4.

No way to get half a box of each is there... :(

Have to agree with everyone else that the CoRo is number 1 though.

I shied away from the CoRo's feeling the high price was somehow related to the popularity but from what you guys are saying seems I'm wrong. I may have to rethink my purchase.

I really like the Partagas, but never tried the Bolivar. There are only a few DR cigars I like, with Partagas being one of them. I'll try the Bolivar one day soon, but I think I would like to try the Cuban version.

I really like the Partagas, but never tried the Bolivar. There are only a few DR cigars I like, with Partagas being one of them. I'll try the Bolivar one day soon, but I think I would like to try the Cuban version.

Seeing as this was posted inteh Island of Cuba, and the PSD4 is a Cuban cvitola, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he was referring to the CUban variety. :D

As to to OP...PSD4 definitley smoke better young. I would take it over the Boli any day...that said, the BBF :love:

As fort he CoRo...yeah, they are worth it.

For enjoyment either now or in the near future...Bolivar Royal Corona all the way! :D

PSD4s are good, but they need some age on them before they really shine. Boli RCs need far less time and they'll smoke out of this world in as little as two or three years.

PSD4 hands down. Only issue, if you don't have sufficient stock of other cigars - when they get 'sick' (and they will) you can't touch them for 6 months to a year.

Smoke great young, smoke better with some rest, SUCK when sick.

I've never had that issue with BRC. I'm a HUGE Bolivar fan, but this vitola doesn't really do it for me like some of the others.

Again, if you don't have a large humidor with other cigars or room to let these rest - go for something else. If you have sufficient storage, there is no question what to do.

For immediate smoking, either one will be fantastic. As noted before, when the PSD4 goes into the vacuum period (sickness) it's a pretty poor cigar. On the other side of that though, and it's a very good cigar.

I would also propose two others for your enjoyment. Since the BRC and PSD4 are not really similar in profile, perhaps you might want to try the Ramon Allones Specially Selected. These are a very tasty cigar young or with age. You might find these closer to the BRC than the PSD4 but not really like either.

Also, not really a robustos but a Hermosos No.4 (smidge longer and thinner) is the Vegas Robaina Famosos. Lately Strayvector has been tearing into these and he might be able to give you some guidance. I really like the VRs for their old school, rich tobacco flavor. Not too spicy, not too floral. Just gutsy Havana leaf.

Wilkey

I say take the Partagas over the Boli. The one Bolivar i had(BBF) i wasn't all that impressed with, opposed to the PSD 4 i had. Although i do have another BBF that i am going to try to see if my opinion differs. Like wilkey said, to just throw another cigar in there try the RASS. It seems to be a board favorite in the ISOM category.

Just my $00.02

given your 2 choices

I would say the partagas but they will need some age .

But like others suggested the CORO , RASS, and the VR will fit the bill much better and tend to smoke good while still young!

Wow, thats a lot of imformation, thanks for the input.
Since I've yet to reach the stage where I'm buying them to age them I'm leaning toward the CoRo and since the RASS in very affordable I might grab a box as well. :p

PSD4s are one of my favorites. I find they smoke great until nearing a year old then I don't touch them until they turn 2. They really do suck big time from 1-2 years old. If you could let some hit 3 or 4 you might think they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

BRCs are not really my cup of tea, a much milder cigar than the rest of the Bolivar line. YMMV

RASS and VR Famosos would also be good choices.

For immediate smoking, either one will be fantastic. As noted before, when the PSD4 goes into the vacuum period (sickness) it's a pretty poor cigar. On the other side of that though, and it's a very good cigar.

I would also propose two others for your enjoyment. Since the BRC and PSD4 are not really similar in profile, perhaps you might want to try the Ramon Allones Specially Selected. These are a very tasty cigar young or with age. You might find these closer to the BRC than the PSD4 but not really like either.

Also, not really a robustos but a Hermosos No.4 (smidge longer and thinner) is the Vegas Robaina Famosos. Lately Strayvector has been tearing into these and he might be able to give you some guidance. I really like the VRs for their old school, rich tobacco flavor. Not too spicy, not too floral. Just gutsy Havana leaf.
Wilkey

I'll second that, the VR is one of my favorite ISOM's.

PSD4s are one of my favorites. I find they smoke great until nearing a year old then I don't touch them until they turn 2. They really do suck big time from 1-2 years old. If you could let some hit 3 or 4 you might think they were the greatest thing since sliced bread.

BRCs are not really my cup of tea, a much milder cigar than the rest of the Bolivar line. YMMV

RASS and VR Famosos would also be good choices.

Everything Melski just said. :p I think he hit the nail on the proverbial head. I love the PSD#4...until that sick period. Then they suck. After that...wow!

The BRC is, like Melski said, much milder than the rest of the Bolivar line. Anyway, for my palate, all Bolivars need some age before I truly enjoy them.

The RASS are good young and fantastic when aged. The VR Famosos are, IMHO, the best smoking robusto/hermosos no. 4 when young. I think they have the best flavors of any of the young cigars.