• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Tobacco Typology Article

wrussell46

Humble Arrogance
With the talk last week about corojo tobacco in the Make-A-Wish PIF and Top 5 Cuban NC threads, I went on a little Google search rabbit hole and stumbled across this article. I found it well written and full of fantastic information, especially related to corojo.

Also thanks to @Madhatter _Maduro I am obsessed with researching JRE tobacco and Aladino cigars.

With the talk last week about corojo tobacco in the Make-A-Wish PIF and Top 5 Cuban NC threads, I went on a little Google search rabbit hole and stumbled across this article. I found it well written and full of fantastic information, especially related to corojo.

Also thanks to @Madhatter _Maduro I am obsessed with researching JRE tobacco and Aladino cigars.
Thanks for posting! Interesting fact that Sumatra was the mother seed to creating African Cameroon. I've had some Tatuaje Pelo de Oro stuff bought thought they needed more age. I have yet to have the Aging room Pelo de Oro. Have you tried the Aladino Corojo Reserva?

Thanks for posting! Interesting fact that Sumatra was the mother seed to creating African Cameroon. I've had some Tatuaje Pelo de Oro stuff bought thought they needed more age. I have yet to have the Aging room Pelo de Oro. Have you tried the Aladino Corojo Reserva?
My pleasure…I like anything related to cigar history.

When it comes to smoking a cigar these days, I don’t pay much attention to the types of tobacco used in a blend, mostly because of how different they can be from one region (terroir) to another. And how different they can be cigar to cigar. For instance, the Yamasa tobacco Davidoff has used in three different cigars, the Puro ‘D Oro-Golden Band Awards-Yamasa Black Label, are not just slightly different. They are drastically different experiences.
I am more focused on if I like it or not!
I do read up on what tobacco is used and if I liked it or not, but it takes a back seat to flavors, burn, company and the overall enjoyment.

I am excited to start trying some different stuff from Aladino after reading more about Corojo tobacco and their blends. I have smoked a Lancero Corojo Reserva and recall enjoying it very much.

And this is why Cubans pre mid-90s have a definitively different profile from later grows (the switch from the OG Corojo leaf to fight mold happened in the early 90s but new grows still had to cure and there was plenty of mixed bag wrapper leaf around still). It also explains the high variance in 90s profiles given they were testing different hybrid wrapper leaf, it’s very visually apparent too because the different hybrids have different vein/stem presentation than original Corojo.