• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The word REVISADO on the bottom of the box...

Wurm

Bratwurst and Beer
Means all the cigars in that box have been draw tested.

img-3.jpg

You learn something new everyday. :cool:

The "XX" or Revisado labels are applied while still at the factory as random boxes are pulled and rechecked for quality,color, and draw.

The "XY" designation is normally only applied to the higher end cigars (ex: lanceros). They are ususally stamped "Revisido" on the bottom of the box but apparently not always.

If a vendor suspects a batch problem, they can supposedly send them back to Cuba for inspection. They are stamped "Controlado's" but do not get the "XX" or "XY" label applied.

Just a little more info for ya :thumbs:

~Mark

A few months back I saw a box of Boli tubos #2 with revisado stamped on it. The box code was GKI JUN03, Revisado 4/02!!! There were 3 nail holes in the box lid and 2 warranty seals, neither were XX or XY. When I opened the tubos there were 3 different "makes" of cigars. That is, they were all Boli marevas but from what appeared to be different wrappers and fillers and slightly more than usual ring gauge variation. One group was very dark and looked rustic. One group looked like more recent production. One group was sort of in between but had heavy glue on the edges and beneath the bands (so far it looks like the glue was to cover up wrapper flaws).

I have smoked 7 or 8 of these now and they have somewhat different flavors and tastes but are definitely Bolivar. So far 2 were very plugged. I have kept them at about 65%RH and 68F (its summer). A couple have been excellent and a couple kind of harsh. Consistency is not good on these.

They were real Bolis, since this has been my favorite marque for a while now. I queried the source and he really could not explain the anomalies. Have been planning to do a post on these when I can borrow a digital camera.

Cheers,
antaean

I'm ignornant on this, how do they draw test cigars?

With a draw machine before they put the cap on the cigar... I think Mr. Peat posted a picture of one a while ago.

Ah I found a picture of one!

http://www.fxtech.com/gallery/honduras/Honduras_16

It sucks air through the cigar and tests the draw resistance.

Link to the *.pdf explaining how to use it.

http://www.imtec-inc.com/specs/DrawManual.pdf

Cool man, I never knew this before!

With a draw machine before they put the cap on the cigar... I think Mr. Peat posted a picture of one a while ago.

I believe it was corrected to state the test was done with the cap ON.

Linky!

I believe it was corrected to state the test was done with the cap ON.

Linky!

I'd like to know how the hell they can test a cigar with the cap on. You ever tried to draw on a cigar that hasn't been cut?...

The "XX" or Revisado labels are applied while still at the factory as random boxes are pulled and rechecked for quality,color, and draw.

The "XY" designation is normally only applied to the higher end cigars (ex: lanceros). They are ususally stamped "Revisido" on the bottom of the box but apparently not always.

If a vendor suspects a batch problem, they can supposedly send them back to Cuba for inspection. They are stamped "Controlado's" but do not get the "XX" or "XY" label applied.

Just a little more info for ya :thumbs:

~Mark

I have a Montecristo A so a 5 pack coffin box. The box code is CUE Feb 04. It has REVISADO 9/04 stamped on it. But it doesn't have a XX number applied to the box nor does it show any sign that there is another label underneath it either or have one placed over it. So maybe not all Revisado boxes get the XX or XY label either. I also have a XY box which supports that they dont always get a Revisado stamp. So with that said, I see no real set pattern other than the boxes that never get reinspected. I cant remember which box the XY label is applied to but I can assure you its not a higher end cigar. In fact its more on the lower side. So again, not set pattern that I can see.

But definitely a good insight into this strange pattern they do. :thumbs:

Edited to add this: I just looked at the Monte A box. There was another label underneath it but when they placed the new one over it, they cut off the part where the original # would have been. I carefully removed the top label and only the last 2 digits remain. They are ******64 with the * being the removed letter and numbers. :(

Updated - quote from reputable aussie dealer:

Any serial number on the warranty label commencing in a red XY has been opened and inspected at the Habanos s.a facitlity as part of quality control.

There are 18 inspectors in the Habanos s.a facility. They work Monday through Saturday.

Rejection rate is between 2-3%. Upmann Factory is one factory which has had a zero rejection rate by the Habanos s.a inspectors over the past 12 months.

~Mark

Great information on this site! :thumbs:

New to here, but not to cigars. Been serious about cigars for about 8 years now. Hope to be able to contribute.

[quote name='Smok'em' post='378497' date='Oct 11 2006, 06:03 PM']
Great information on this site! :thumbs:

New to here, but not to cigars. Been serious about cigars for about 8 years now. Hope to be able to contribute.
[/quote]
Glad you found it helpful.

Fill out your profile. Post an introduction. Smoke a cigar and hang out. :thumbs:

Welcome to CP.