• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The smell of Habanos

Black Plague

For the first time, I got a complaint from my neighbors about cigar smoking! ???

I did everything as I usually do...a window open in the next room, an exhaust fan in the smoking room, a vanilla candle burning for extra odor cover. Done it dozens of times and never heard of peep...you couldn't even smell on the other end of the room! (this is true, I tested with my girlfriend who abhors the smell of tobacco, she couldn't smell outside the door or on the opposite end of the same room!)

So what made this time different?

I was smoking a non-Cuban! :laugh:

Most everytime I've smoked inside it's been a Havana, with an occassional NC Hoyo de Monterrey. The other night, it was a Padron 2000 Maduro. I did notice then that, as I smoked, it did have a very different aroma to it and seemed to produce more smoke than most cigars. It was a good cigar...but even with my biased nostrils, I could smell a bit of ammonia.

And I'd imagine that's what my neighbors were smelling that assaulted their noses. And I've seen others talk about how their non-smoking spouses like the smell of a Havana, but describe the smell of an NC as "cat piss." :laugh:

It's such a mystery....how a fine Habano can have none of that offending odor (and if it does, it's usually a shitty one), whereas a good NC does have that odor but still tastes good.

sweet_smoke_italy_front800.jpg

I see someone just got back from an expo at the Hartford Civic Center! :laugh:

Nice print Gary! :thumbs:

Wasn't Sweet Smoke a mid 70's band?

Personally I never have a scented candle going to interfere with the flavor of my smoke. I don't think adding it to your smoke makes it more palatable to a smoke hater.

No hits that I know of but they were a "progressive" band like Camel and as such blipped on my radar. More popular in Europe and to a lessor extent Japan. I thought I had one of their records but all I have is one song on tape.

Personally I never have a scented candle going to interfere with the flavor of my smoke. I don't think adding it to your smoke makes it more palatable to a smoke hater.

Funny you should say that. too don't normally have a scented candle burning while I smoke (normally light it after I'm done, but for some reason, I lit it up during, this time) because I too notice it can interfere with the tasting of the cigar.

I had a neighbor complain about my smoke once. It turned out his wife was pregnant and could not stand it. I had to move where I smoked. I was smoking non Cubans at the time. It would have been interesting what would have happened if it was a Cuban.

I do agree about the candle. Like wine, I really do enjoy the aroma of the smoke and would hate to mask it. I find that is one of the enjoyments of going to a cigar lounge, having the ability to really sit in a room and smell all that lovely cigar aroma. But then again there are some that find that overwhelming.

I have had the same thing said to me before when smoking a Siglo VI

"Wow that cigar smells good!"

But then again my wife said the same thing when she walked into a cloud of smoke from a Padrón 1926 I was smoking, in fact she liked the smell so much she sat on my lap and helped me finish smoking it.

*edit* forgot a word :rolleyes: