• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The More Things Change, the More They Stay the Same

We should start a petition. We only need 25,000 signatures to get the White House to respond.

Thanks for the read Gary. Now we will have to see what happens.
On a side note, I have a question.
What happens to trademarks in the cigar industry when we can trade with Cuba? What happens to the brands that have the same name and no affiliation? Not trying to change this thread so if I need to start a new one let me know Gary.
Thanks,

Ian

What happens to trademarks in the cigar industry when we can trade with Cuba? What happens to the brands that have the same name and no affiliation? Not trying to change this thread so if I need to start a new one let me know Gary.
Thanks,

Ian

I figure by the time Cuba opens up...Ataldis and General will pretty much own the Cuban cigar industry, so it probably won't be as big an issue as people think.

There's two sides to everything story, however the embargo really needs to be ironed out and lifted, especially considering the threat that they are (not) to us compared to some other countries that we rely heavily on for imports...

Cuba could really be quite the destination for travelers. I could say a lot more, but I'll stop here before it turns political. ;)

In response to Ian, here's my guess, in the style of Conan O'Brien's 'In the Year 2000'.
Altadis owns majority stake in Habanos S.A., so they'll just release the brands they own the US trademarks for. General will put up a tough legal fight, and at least get a huge payoff. Or HSA will release the same cigars under new brand names. The little guys that still own a US trademark for a Cuban brand (The Quesadas owning Fonseca, the Padrons owning Jose L. Piedra I believe, Ashton and the San Cristobal brand) will put up fights for as long as there is money in it, but eventually will either cut a deal that includes shares of Altadis or cash, or Habanos will put out a 'new brand' with a wink, that is just like the disputed brand. There will be a boom for Cuban cigars as even many non-smokers will go out and try the formerly forbidden fruit, and quality will go in the toilet as production skyrockets to meet demand. It will be rough times for many of the smaller NC brands, and many will simply go out of business. Other than perhaps San Cristobal, I can't think of anyone other than General that Altadis would really care about. Fonseca and Jose L Piedra as brand names just aren't worth the legal fight.

With the Embargo lifted I agree, prices will go up, and quality will go down due to the demand.
Making 1000 cigars a year, now with the USA market open they will have to produce 10,000 a year. They wont be able to keep up.

Just IMO ofcourse we all have our own.

thefatguy said:
Thanks,

Ian

That's supposedly already in place...meaning who owns what brand/label in what geographic location.

From what I've read in the past, the big guys (General, Imperial Tobacco) own these labels for cigars made with all other tobaccos other than Cuban tobacco...and Habanos, S.A. owns the same brands/labels for cigars made with Cuban tobacco. They're supposedly two different entities, two completely separate companies WITHIN a company as in Imperial's case.

So if the embargo were lifted and we had Cohibas in the US, the Dominican version would be owned by General Cigar and the Cuban version would be owned by Habanos, S.A.

This is what was fed to us the last time this came up when Obama was elected the first time and lead us to believe there was a possibility the embargo could be lifted. Later in 2008 Imperial bought Altadis...so it's anyone's guess what will happen now. But the one thing you can take to the bank?...is that all the lawyers around the globe will profit from this more than any cigar lover!

There are many CC devotees that could answer this better than I...maybe ask this question over at ICC.

Does General and Imperial Tobacco sell their non-CC brands elsewhere in the world or only in the US?