• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

The Brothers are at it again....

Johnny-O!

Hello all...just watched on the local news last night that Raul & Fidel are going to eliminate the ration card next year (Carta de Abastecimiento). For those of you that not aware of that concept, it is a subsidy of basic foods for all of the people living in Cuba. Since the exit of the Soviets in the early 90's, the ration card has been reduced bit by bit, so that todays ration card will last about 12 days. Plans are to sign the law April 2011 and may take 90-180 days to enact it. Right now there is probably a lot of stress over this press release, but will probably result in civil unrest once it becomes active. Sign of the times....John

I just heard a news story on NPR a few weeks ago with the rumors of the ration cards being abolished.

From what I understand, as it stands now, the average Cuban can't really keep him/herself fed well on the ration card alone...but it's enough to keep you from totally starving to death. And apparently, the non-ration-card street markets are serious price gougers.

My heart goes out to the Cuban people...I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up coming to food riots, I just hope no one is hurt or killed. :(