• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Take on cubans since 1995 and changes since 2003

personal User

Not my take, posted elsewhere. However, I find this information very interesting.

For newbies and veterans aloke, below is my take on the quality of Cuban cigars since 1995:

Quick history of Cuban cigars from someone who has been through it for the past 17 years.

Cigars from 1995 and before: these are pre cigar-boom when Cuba had tons of raw materials, criollo wrapper (extremely fine wrapper leaf which was tremendous!!!).  Have never had a bad cigar from this era and they have aged tremendously.  Very costly to buy these today.

1996-1998: Cigar-boom has started to catch up with production.  Cuba no longer using criolo leaf for wrappers due to blue mold epidemic.  Cuba experiments with many wrapper leafs.  Cuba doubles export of cigars EACH year to meet demand brough about by increased popularity of cigars.  Good quality cigars but not near the quality of 1995 and before.

1999-mid 2001: Cuba cannot meet the demand for cigars yet continues to mass produce to meet demand.  Cuba's export of cigars goes from 50,000,000 in 1995 to 250,000,000 in 1999/2000 years.  As a result uncured tobacco and inexperienced rollers cause a tremendous drop in the quality of cigars.  Many thin guaged cigars are plugged.  Cigars are very harsh when young.  Known as the "bad years".

mid 2001-mid 2003: Cuba catches up.  Demand falls (boom ended), inexperienced rollers now have more experience.  Able to again use aged tobacco.  Experiment with wrapper leaf has ended with a nice wrapper leaf being used.  IMHO these are the best cigars rolled since 1995.

Mid 2003- present: starting in mid 2003 Cuba started doing something to their tobacco to make the cigars more enjoyable when fresh.  Prior to this EVERY box of Cuban cigars went through a "sick period" where the cigars reeked of ammonia.  This was the natural curing process resulting from the moisture used to roll the cigars resulting in an accelerated fermentation and an ammonia smell. This sick period generally arose sometime within the first year of production and lasted anywhere from 6 months to a year. 
     Starting in mid 2003, cigars have no longer gone through this sick period (they sometimes go flat for a short period but I have not had a single box of Cuban cigars have this ammonia smell since August of 2003 and I have bought thousands of boxes since then). Some people believe that Cuba now "cooks" their tobacco to make it more enjoyable when young or Right of the Truck (ROTT).  Whatever they did the cigars have become much better when young.  There is concern, however, that what is being done has effected the ability of these cigars to improve with age. Many collectors from the Far east believe that the post July2003 cigars will not age as well as their predecessors.
My experience confirms this belief.  Many cigars I have smoked from 2004-2005 have become flat. (bolded by Personal User)

Recent prduction cigars are rolled better and smoke great young.  We will see how they age.

ETA - I did not post a link because that might have been interpreted as a rule violation. Search is your friend.

I believe some detail is missing about the tobacco uses. Over all they structure and periods seem to be on.

They cigars not going thru a 'sick period' is odd. It may not go thru the rancid ammonia phase as strong as before....but it still goes thru a down time.

Anyone every hear that Cuba started to let the tobacco age a little more before sending out?

LINKY to an interesting article!

I have a partial box of HU Mag 50 boxed last year that have been smoking fine young but now there is  a distinct ammonia smell in the 50 SLB.

Seems to me certain brands seem to go thru this this more than others.  I too wonder when the age of a cigar begins to have a negative impact on its taste.

Capt J said:
I have a partial box of HU Mag 50 boxed last year that have been smoking fine young but now there is  a distinct ammonia smell in the 50 SLB.

Seems to me certain brands seem to go thru this this more than others.  I too wonder when the age of a cigar begins to have a negative impact on its taste.

This does appear to hold true, at least from my brief experience.

As for the second part...some say the 80's Davidoff's have reach their peak and have fallen of....while some 60's and 70's sticks are fantastic!

It's organic!

personal User said:
I have not had a single box of Cuban cigars have this ammonia smell since August of 2003 and I have bought thousands of boxes since then

And I thought Kris purchased a lot... :0

Nice post Ken, very interesting...

I just have a few general observations from my experience with Cuban cigars:

1). Always put the unlit end of the cigar in your mouth.

2). Make certain you always wear pants when you smoke.

Is the hype around Cubans warranted? To me it seems like a "you cant have it, it's illegal" so I want it more kinda thing. From what I understand (and I'm new to all this so I could be way off) many of the tobaccos originally grown and made popular by cubans is now all over in neighboring countries and islands so one could get comparable and even superior cigars from places without a trade embargo. I'm just looking for some insight. 

WindingDown said:
Is the hype around Cubans warranted? To me it seems like a "you cant have it, it's illegal" so I want it more kinda thing. From what I understand (and I'm new to all this so I could be way off) many of the tobaccos originally grown and made popular by cubans is now all over in neighboring countries and islands so one could get comparable and even superior cigars from places without a trade embargo. I'm just looking for some insight. 

Usually I don't listen to the hype on any cuban cigar, I taste them, if they are good, I buy a box, if they are great, I buy two boxes... They are still (as a whole) the best cigars in the world, no contest...

WindingDown said:
Some go through that phase, but taste is subjective. What one person loves, another may think is horrible. I love cigars from all over for different reasons. Cuban tobacco grown in Cuban soil is definitely a completely different animal all together compared to tobacco grown in Nicaragua.

WindingDown said:
They _are_ different. There are differences in growing conditions, soil, strains of seeds, etc.

Just as there are differences in wine from various regions. Is a chateau bottled  french wine worth the hype? Only you can say. What about Australian, Californian, and so on. Some great, some not so great.

I smoke both. I enjoy both, some more than others. Not to mention, we all have different palettes and to top if off our tastes change. Many enthusiasts retrohale, many do not. All of these factors will play into what your personal preferences are.

There a levels of quality and different price levels from the various countries and islands that produce cigars.

Smoke as many as you can from various places and decide for yourself. It is all personal preference.

BTW - OP...you can comment on where this was from. Especially since a lot here are on OLH and other forums!

mcgoospot brings up some factual points. There is also some opinion in any of these types of comments.

grateful1 said:
BTW - OP...you can comment on where this was from. Especially since a lot here are on OLH and other forums!

mcgoospot brings up some factual points. There is also some opinion in any of these types of comments.
Thought it might have been construed as a source, since he is a dealer/trader. I figure whatever put out by someone anywhere and particularly on the net is slanted by their own viewpoint and biases. Of course, except for me. :whistling:

Good read. Thanks for posting. I have not had enough to completely agree with or confirm my own experience, but I will say that the 99-2001 deal on Plugged or not so great cigars has held true. It is good to have this as a reference.

I am pretty new to them. So, I've not been counting but would say have smoked 30 to 40.

Had my first plugged one yesterday. H Upmann, Magnum 46.  vintage 2013, Tried several times to clear it with an ice pick, and needle pointed tool. Finally tossed it.

personal User said:
I am pretty new to them. So, I've not been counting but would say have smoked 30 to 40.

Had my first plugged one yesterday. H Upmann, Magnum 46.  vintage 2013, Tried several times to clear it with an ice pick, and needle pointed tool. Finally tossed it.
I think too many cigar smokers test draw, find the cigar tight or possibly plugged, and then being "optimistic" light anyway. I did it far too many times, many years ago. Haha. 
I deal with these by working a poker through the whole cigar and leave the poker in the cigar for a min of 3 weeks in my lower RH box (60-65 max). I've had some surprisingly good results using this method. You can do it for shorter times in a dry box, but I've found the 3 weeks at a bit higher humidity than a dry box, works best in performance and flavors.

I'll have to give that a try next time. Never have tested the draw pre-light.

In all honesty, smoking non-cubans for decades, I've only had one other plugged cigar. While I don't recall what it was I do recall that it was low dollar and not that surprising.

While I have seen the various posts about plugged cubans I had thought that was in the past. But, it does apparently happen some with current production.