• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Stoving Tobacco

aquiring93

Alright, so I’ve been reading a lot about stoving pipe tobacco recently in order to improve and bring out new flavors. That led to me thinking about applying the same process to cigars. I’ve got a handful of sticks that I don’t really care for. Would I be insane to do this? I imagine it would mess with the draw, but I figure after a few months in a humidor that should remedy the issue.

Has anyone tried this before? Any other reasons why this is a bad idea?

I've not done whole cigars but have had success with whole leaf. By keeping it at 70% humidity and about 120F for 4-6 weeks, the leaf releases any leftover ammonia and mellows considerably.
The higher temp prevents mold.

T
I've not done whole cigars but have had success with whole leaf. By keeping it at 70% humidity and about 120F for 4-6 weeks, the leaf releases any leftover ammonia and mellows considerably.
The higher temp prevents mold.
this is great info! I’m gonna go for it and see what happens!

It's an interesting experiment at the very least...

I don't think it's a bad idea, I've done things like stuff cigars in a bag of coffee beans with a Boveda and left for weeks.

My basic understanding after a quick search, and not knowing a damn thing about the Pipe Tobacco process, is that cigar tobacco has already effectively been through this process already on it's way to being rolled into a cigar.

Last edited:
The worst thing that happens is you ruin some cigars that you didn't mind ruining.

hey using stoving on cigars is quite a controvesial idea.while it might bring out new flavors, theres a risk it could change the smoking experience and draw.it could also afect the humidty and quality of the leavs.definitely worth considering carefuly.if you have cigars you dont like, it might be beter to just store them in a humidor for a while.sometimes time works wonders, and they might improve! ;)

Stuck a couple of cigars in a mason jar in the oven for 5 hours at 200F this weekend. The wrapper was noticeably darker than when it went in and the smell was delightful. No apparent damage. Going to let them sit in the humidor for a few weeks to settle down and then I'll give one a try.