• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sticker removal methods

Dave

Padilla Lanceros, yum yum!!
So, I got this box here, and on it there are some anti-smoking stickers with some pictures on them that I could do without. Although the little kid with the tube and face mask in a hospital bed is cute, the other pictures aren't what I like to look at when I go in for a smoke.

My method of removal:

Tools:
Ironing board
Iron (I use a Rowenta Professional with adjustable heat and steam selections)
Cloth or paper towel (I use a paper towel, but I'm sure an old t-shirt, or a thin piece of cloth will do)
Cigar box with ugly pictures of course.

Steps

Set up the iron to cotton, or I should say pretty damn hot. Set the steam to maximum output. You could dampen the cloth, but the paper towel will probably fall apart. Lay your cloth/paper towel on top of the target sticker, and start ironing it out. I usually go with three (3) ironing segments, usually about one and a half minutes (1 1/2)to ensure optimal heat and steam are applied to the target picture. Carefully remove the picture starting from a corner. I usually grab the picture from the corner and start to peel it off along the longer edge, all the while carefully making sure to not damage the other decorative stickers on the box. Unfortunately, the warranty seal is a casualty of this method, and that comes off as well, albeit unintentionally.

Let the box sit on it's edge so that the heat dissipates from the wood, and the now exposed locations where the stickers once were are not touching any surface. When it cools down and dries, the adhesive should be less sticky, although some residual glue is still present.

I know you can use other chemicals to remove the glue, but I like to use hot water on the plain cedar boxes with an abrasive scrubber (S.O.S. and Brillo are not recommended), the dressed boxes I dare not expose to water due to the damage the water might inflict upon the nice decorations.

The outcome... at least the chevron is still there!!!

What's your method?

I wouldn't use anything other than heat on these. And this is coming from a guy who spent a fair number of years in the adhesives and tapes industry. I've formulated my fair share of adhesives. The trick to these is not in the adhesive per say, but in the paper. The paper is chosen to have an internal cohesive strength well below that of the adhesive strength. If peeled at room temperature, they will always split within the paper layer leaving a big mess.

Personally, I just leave 'em on. The only time I see them is when I go to pull sticks.

Wilkey

Interesting stuff Gents.

I've pondered removing the stickers from time to time, and may give your method a shot sometime Dave.

I use zippo ligther fluid on wooden boxes I want to keep.

After I've transfered the sticks to my humi of course :)

On the two boxes that I've done this with, I used a combination of a razor/scraper and a hair dryer. Other than a bit of adhesive that stayed on the boxes, this method worked great both times.