• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Special Occasion

theorangeman

Even though I'm a little tapped from last month, I've been wanting to make a purchase of a very special occasion cigar (a box or split perhaps) and I figure it's about time to do so. The only requirement is that it be no more than 20 bucks. I probably won't dig into these for at least a couple of years from now (the first special occasion will probably be the completion of my dissertation). :thumbs: Therefore, I'll have some time to age these smokes before digging into them.

The first two cigars that come to mind (that I have yet to try) are Cohiba VI's and Esplendidos. Since I haven't tried either one, any advice as to which one I might want to pick up for that special occasion cigar or is there a better option that I'm not considering?

Both great cigars.
Given the choice, I would go for the VI's.

Brian

Agreed. Definately the VI. Seems to have better construction so you won't be disappointed when you pull one out to celebrate in a few years.

I would upgrade the dissertation to a life changing event, then I would lower the standards for a special occasion.

I like the Esplendido over the VI - mainly because of the cigar size...
<and the fact that the VI was the only stick I ever got ill on...I should have eaten something!>

It all really depends on the box code - some Esp have been poor - while I know some of the VI turned out to be just as rough.

You could always do what I do....buy BOTH :D

Gary

I would upgrade the dissertation to a life changing event, then I would lower the standards for a special occasion.

I believe that by the time this sucker is finished, it will very much be a life changing event. :laugh:

You could always do what I do....buy BOTH :D

Although tempting, I'd rather my money go to less expensive smokes that are still very enjoyable! I don't want to get into the habit of smoking $18-$20 cigars. I just want one special box that I can turn to on special occasions, hence the reason for this purchase.

Consider an H. Upmann Sir Winston over either of the Cohibas. I think you'd be better served as it is for a special occasion cigar.

Consider an H. Upmann Sir Winston over either of the Cohibas. I think you'd be better served as it is for a special occasion cigar.
How do these compare to the Tang comissioned Monarchs?

Partagas Serie D No.1 EL. Just as physically imposing as the Siglo VI, perhaps moreso than the Esplendidos. If you prefer Partagas taste, go with these. If you prefer Cohiba taste, go with the Esplendidos for the elegance. I also agree with Matt that if you can find some 2003 or earlier HU SW, those would be a fantastic insider cigar. The band is very plain and does not have the cachet of the Cohiba band, but to those in the know, it is as formidable.

Wilkey

I'm going to vote for the siglo VI as it's the best cigar I've ever smoked, maybe a tie with Fundadores from 98. Never had an Esplendido so I guess my vote is a bit worthless.

I'm going to vote for the siglo VI as it's the best cigar I've ever smoked, maybe a tie with Fundadores from 98. Never had an Esplendido so I guess my vote is a bit worthless.

No, not at all. ;) I appreciate the feedback. I actually have some Fundadores in my humi (although not from '98, I think they're '04). I sort of forgot about them, but I'm sure they'll be a hell of a smoke as well.

Given the choice between the two, I'd go with the Esplendido personally, but you can't go wrong with either, really.

We should all be torn between those two choices. :0 In general, I'd go with the VI but if you get a known good Esplendido then that would be my choice.