• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Sagrado Cigars Carismatico Maduro Toro

CgarDan

Can you blame the cigar for delivering exactly what it promised ? Read on and decide for yourself.

A little of background first: My first time at the Rocky Mountain Cigar Festival. I came here to hang out with a bunch of friends and check out some new brands. To my disappointment many manufacturers that are new to me and the market ( I have been smoking cigars for over 20 years now ) do not want to sell singles or even put together samplers of customer choice. Well not the best strategy to try to sell a full box if I don’t know if I will even like the cigar. Talk about buyer beware rule. … Anyway one of the vendors was kind enough to say yes to my request and sold a sampler of the cigars I was interested in. Add to that he fact that the owner was very kind to explain how all the cigars are unique and what sets them apart from the other brands. Now I am stocked to smoke these. Back home I let them rest for 10 days and I am ready to light one up

That vendor was Sagrado cigars and the cigar I am lighting up is Carismatico maduro toro

IMG_4161.jpeg

Notes on the manufacturer website:

Medium body. Notes of cracked white pepper, espresso, cocoa and cedar.

A little more research reveals
Wrapper: Mexican San Andres
Binder: Criollo
Filler: Dominican

I have been on Mexican San Andreas kick as of late so I am very excited

Upon inspection I see a wrapper with fine granularity, oily with small veins - typical on the Mexican San Andreas. The weight feels just right and the light squeeze shows just the right bounce back. So far so good.

Aroma is that of cedar and earth
Prelight draw is good and. Get flavors of a lighter cigar

Torch the end and get very light gray / white ash.

As I thought the flavors are on the lighter side, with cedar and slightly peppery. Will this be too light for me - I hope not. So far I am not really getting any flavors associated with the San Andreas, but the journey just started. I bit of pepper on the retro hale. Let’s keep going.
First third was very similar and I am getting disappointed: where is the strength ? Where is that espresso and coco profile. What about the Dan Andreas flavors. I have to do a review
Did I forget to mention the construction- superb. Ash is holding on like a champ with the same light gray / white color

On to the second third: retro is getting more flavor. Definitely more peppery with some other baking spices mixed in. Strength is picking up a bit. As well keep smoking the promised cocoa is starting to creep in and lingering on top of the cedar. Let’s keep going. Wait am I getting the espresso - maybe. Let me take a nice long puff or two. Yes that’s it !! Dark roast espresso that mellows to a cocoa infused cedar. Now I really have to write that review. But where are the San Andreas flavors I like so much?

Final third: the cigar is in full bloom. San Andreas just showed up. That spice with sweet finish hurrah. !!! Here is that medium + profile that I love. All the flavors intermingling perfectly. Expresso with spice followed by cocoa covered cedar with a slightly sweet and savory finish.

Why did I have to smoke till the last few inches to really enjoy this so much. Do I wish that this cigar started of like this and provided a consistent experience throughout ? Or is this the complexity we crave a the cigar evolves and keeps us smoking, looking for what comes next ?

Can I blame the cigar for delivering what it promised or praise the blender for the amazing job ?

You decide !!!!

Great review!

I also ran into the “Full Box Rule” at the Heritage Cigar Festival in Ybor City a couple years ago. It was my first festival and I was disappointed to come home with absolutely zero cigars, because like you, I’m not buying a box of something I haven’t even tasted. I’m going to try the Ybor City Cigar Festival coming up in December, only because the vendor list is quite comprehensive. If it’s full boxes only, I will be done with cigar festivals except for the RMCF, and that will only be to hang out with the fellas.

ETA: here is the link to the vendors so far at Ybor City Cigar Festival

In addition, here is a quote from Carlito Fuente, Jr.:
“Every year, it gets bigger and better. This is the most incredible cigar event I have ever attended, and it makes me so proud! I feel honored to be back in Ybor City and see how much it has blossomed. It is full of life and happy people. This is great; it makes me feel so good!”

Last edited:
Great read. Question, would you buy a 5er? Really enjoy a good Maduro.