• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Real or fake?

jsm11

Secret Squirrel
I've received this as a gift some time ago and am wondering whether it's legit. The cigar comes from a Cigar smoker who purchased it from overseas...
Label is embossed
Label is centered
Label is a little low on the cigar, I think... I guess he pulled the bands at some point. May not have been the original band to original cigar.

Smell is a little lackluster...certainly not overwhelming. Very mild, not too strong...
It is well packed, but does not have a lot of weight...IMO

I do not know how to tell if it's triple cap....

I got two, going to smoke one and compare to what I suspect we're real ones from a couple of months ago...

Please see the pics and weigh in, if needed I'll get more...

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12082]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12081]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12080]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12079]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12078]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12077]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12076]

Sorry for the delay, still have not figured out how to post them from the Ipad.  Had to switch to PC...

I smoked one..
Good draw
Taste was lackluster I think
Burnt it up in about 50 minutes I guess, smoked quick...
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12093]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12092]

And, I cut open the 2nd stick out of curiosity and I'm not sure what to think?

Wrapper 
(2) Binder
All long leaf
Appears to be made in the entubado style?
Very Very dry, not mot moisture in there (could of been how it was stored).
Not much more smell after cutting it open, smells good, but not overpowering

So, any thoughts?

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12091]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12090]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12089]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12085]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12086]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12087]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:12088]

What say you...

Looks legit, and there are such a thing as bad genuine montecristo no2. A reason why you should only pick them up from a trusted source/vendor.

comptalk said:
Why ruin a nice cigar like that????
My thoughts exactly. I don't see anything abnormal about that cigar. I'd say whoever he bought it from did not properly store it. This is generally a very good cigar.

I don't disagree about ruining it, I was curious and wanted to learn.  The gentleman that I received the Cigar from at work, was curious as well.  Which is part of the reason I posted here.  He has about a box worth and was unsure if they were real...I'll pass along the opinions...

He bought the Cigars in Canada when he was there, early last month.  They may have arrived in decent condition and dried out?  Not sure... When I trade with him in town, his sticks are generally right on..

CMontoya79 said:
Looks legit, and there are such a thing as bad genuine montecristo no2. A reason why you should only pick them up from a trusted source/vendor.

Agreed, I've never ordered any.  But I have an inkling of who I'd use.

I'll likely do a review of it and compared to the ones I smoked earlier in the year, it just did not have that smooth creamy flavor...I think with some time to get some humidity into them, it may return?  I'd probably rate it an 8...

I can understand being curious about a box of ISOMs if you purchased them, but then again if you're not sure you shouldn't be purchasing them anyway.

As far as a gift, not sure I would've cut open and ruined a cigar like that if it doesn't really matter anyway.  Should've just smoked it.  Does it really matter if it was ISOM or not?

JMHO, of course.

jsm11 said:
I've received this as a gift some time ago and am wondering whether it's legit. The cigar comes from a Cigar smoker who purchased it from overseas...

jsm11 said:
The gentleman that I received the Cigar from at work, was curious as well.  Which is part of the reason I posted here.  He has about a box worth and was unsure if they were real...I'll pass along the opinions...

He bought the Cigars in Canada when he was there, early last month.  They may have arrived in decent condition and dried out?  Not sure... When I trade with him in town, his sticks are generally right on..

I'm confused as always. Are we talking about the same cigar here or two different ones? Last time I checked Canada wasn't overseas.

Anyway, if your buddy has the box why don't you post some pictures of the bottom of the box, top and front where the warranty seal is. You can gain a lot of information from the box.

Like some have mentioned Monte 2's are very inconsistent so it wouldn't surprise me if you smoked two that smoked very differently. From the pictures: long filler leaf, green water spots, the band and semi dark ash all seem good. However, you can also get a good counterfeit Monte 2 made in Cuba that taste good too. Knowing the source is key.

Check this guy out. He makes Monte 2's too:  ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnpegHrBAK4

Great Video, I wish it was longer....

Sorry, for the confusion...

Two Cigars, two different points of origin (Canada and Abu Dhabi).

In restrospect, it does not makes sense to do a comparison, being from two different places...

I smoked the one from Abu Dhabi, I cut up the one from Canada... I think, I didn't label them when they went in the Tupperdore...

I'll ask for a picture of the box... :thumbs:

See what the factory codes and dates are on the each of the boxes.

jsm11 said:

I smoked one..
Good draw

Wrapper 
(2) Binder
All long leaf

So, any thoughts?

What say you...

Were you able to put Humpty back together again? :laugh:

Should have just asked me for a real one and compared.

golfgar said:
I smoked one..
Good draw

Wrapper 
(2) Binder
All long leaf

So, any thoughts?

What say you...

Were you able to put Humpty back together again? :laugh:

Should have just asked me for a real one and compared.
In retrospect...
Definitely not my smoothest move....

Lol