• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Questions regarding 3-packs in general, and help authenticating a purc

Enigma76

Hello everyone, glad to be here.

I just recently registered on this forum, among others (longtime lurker). I've been smoking cigars for about a year now, and recently took a gamble and got some "cubans". I say "cubans" because I went on a whim, and am trying to figure out if this vendor (online) is reputable.

I ordered some Partagas Serie D #4. 5 3-packs, they just came in today. I'll have some pictures up later tonight (or possibly at the end of the week) if you guys would be so kind to help me authenticate these cigars (they are at home, my brother is going to take pics and send them to me).

However, before the pictures come, my question is regarding packaging on the 3packs. Are the cigars supposed to come naked or in cellophane? Are they supposed to have the same seal (with watermarks, etc) and the Habanos sticker on the top? Are there packing codes, similar to box codes, to help authenticate? I tried searching, but couldnt find any information about 3-packs. I ordered the 3-packs from this vendor due to trying to minimize my losses if the cigars were fake (instead of buying a box), or so I thought.

Any help would be great, I've been doing alot of lurking and am enjoying taking this habit to the next level.

Pictures forthcoming, have to get my brother to retake them as he messed up the focus.

It's difficult to authenticate from a distance but I can answer some of your questions.

1. Cigars come without cellophane
2. The outer carton will have a full sized warranty seal, Habanos sticker, and factory and date code. The latter is on the underside of the top flap.
3. The cardboard pack holding the 3-packs will have a miniature warranty seal. Same as the big one, it will also have the UV shield on it, just smaller. There are no markings or codes on this inner carton.
4. The cardboard packs for the individual cigars will have no stickers or markings.

Wilkey

Thank you Wilkey! I was hoping someone of your knowledge would help!

I guess, what would make the authenticating easier, would be to ask about the vendor. I know asking about sourcing through PMs (even though I have the source already and am looking for verification) is something I should probably do when I am more well known around here, right? I'm more than willing to stick it out here awhile to figure out if the vendor is reputable in the future.

Thank you Wilkey! I was hoping someone of your knowledge would help!

I guess, what would make the authenticating easier, would be to ask about the vendor. I know asking about sourcing through PMs (even though I have the source already and am looking for verification) is something I should probably do when I am more well known around here, right? I'm more than willing to stick it out here awhile to figure out if the vendor is reputable in the future.
E76,

I should clarify that while some Habanos do come in cello (Partagas Chicos, for example), the Totalmente a Mano (fully hand made) cigars do not. Why don't you PM me the vendor you used and I will try to tell you what I know about that vendor.

Participation and involvement is valued on CigarPass. If you make this community your home, you'll feel at home and come to be regarded as family. In other words, if it suits you, get to know us and let us get to know you.

Wilkey

Sorry, pics are going to have to wait till I get home on Friday. Neither my brother nor my mother could figure out how to turn off the flash and properly focus the camera...sigh.

I can't figure out how to upload/attach images to a post. I made an album on here, here is the link album.

To add, there are no box codes/dates at all on any of the boxes. The markings on the boxes are all embossed (for instance the partagas symbol, all the writing), and the only stickers are the two seen at the top. All the boxes were the same.

The cigars all measured exactly 4 7/8", which is exactly what the PSD4 is supposed to be correct? I dont have a ring gauge checker, but they all look the same and all are very crisp (no lumpiness). Also, the cap clearly is triple, but is kind of messy (could this be from the fact that PSD4s are made in such high quantity?). There previously was a funky smell to some of the cigars but after a couple weeks sitting in their own cedar box (to ensure no beetles/mold) they are smelling much better; the smell is clearly different from normal NCs yet is clearly tobacco in nature.

I can't figure out how to upload/attach images to a post. I made an album on here, here is the link album.

To add, there are no box codes/dates at all on any of the boxes. The markings on the boxes are all embossed (for instance the partagas symbol, all the writing), and the only stickers are the two seen at the top. All the boxes were the same.

The cigars all measured exactly 4 7/8", which is exactly what the PSD4 is supposed to be correct? I dont have a ring gauge checker, but they all look the same and all are very crisp (no lumpiness). Also, the cap clearly is triple, but is kind of messy (could this be from the fact that PSD4s are made in such high quantity?). There previously was a funky smell to some of the cigars but after a couple weeks sitting in their own cedar box (to ensure no beetles/mold) they are smelling much better; the smell is clearly different from normal NCs yet is clearly tobacco in nature.

Looks good

not that i am an authority like brother Wilkey, but i purchased the same 3 packs from a reputable source and the pics you have there look very similar to what i have (i purchased mine last year). looks ok to my eyes

Send me a sample for testing. I'll be sure to let you know the outcome! :D

(they appear fine)

Great guys, thanks for the replies! I had spoken with Wilkey prior about the vendor I purchased these from, and he noted that they were so far legit as far as he knew. I guess this just seals the deal.

Another question for some of ya'll: for instance, in the picture of the feet of the cigars in my album, there appears to be actual green colored leaves in the filler (it is the left cigar in the foot shot, but I dont know if you guys can see it well; trust me, it is bright green). Is this simply an indication of a very recently rolled stick? I've never seen green in the filler tobacco, but then again I've never had cigars that didnt go through some aging process (just NCs).

Great guys, thanks for the replies! I had spoken with Wilkey prior about the vendor I purchased these from, and he noted that they were so far legit as far as he knew. I guess this just seals the deal.

Another question for some of ya'll: for instance, in the picture of the feet of the cigars in my album, there appears to be actual green colored leaves in the filler (it is the left cigar in the foot shot, but I dont know if you guys can see it well; trust me, it is bright green). Is this simply an indication of a very recently rolled stick? I've never seen green in the filler tobacco, but then again I've never had cigars that didnt go through some aging process (just NCs).

It's familiar(to me) I think it's water spots on the the leaves. They can turn green and yellow and white...though someone might have a more detailed and different explanation.

(edit familiar)