• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Question regarding removed serial numbers

investandprosper

I searched for the answer to this question to no avail. What's the deal with removing the serial numbers on CC boxes? I have read that "Gray Market" vendors do this so that the box cannot be traced back to where it was originally purchased.

I searched for the answer to this question to no avail. What's the deal with removing the serial numbers on CC boxes? I have read that "Gray Market" vendors do this so that the box cannot be traced back to where it was originally purchased.

The cigars themselves look and smell real, and everything checks out aside from one of them having a smaller ring gauge than the rest (just enough so that the band is able to slide freely along the cigar). The serial number has just been removed after the 5 zeroes from both boxes.

They are from a trusted source that I'm sure many here use, so I'm not that concerned about it. Just a little. Anyone know why they'd be missing?

Most of the vendors are doing this for the reasons you stated. All of mine as of late have had the serial number removed.

I prefer to obtain CCs from vendors who do not deal in gray market cigars. I am willing to pay that premium for peace of mind.

I prefer to obtain CCs from vendors who do not deal in gray market cigars. I am willing to pay that premium for peace of mind.

So do I, but even the reputable vendors are doing it now.

I'd have to disagree with that statement. A retailer who deals in Gray Market cigars may be a good retailer and may have some good product, but in my book they would not be classified as a reputable dealer. If you have to stoop to a level where you are taking off serial numbers on boxes so they can't be traced back to you or where you purchased them from...you are far from being totally legit.

I'd have to disagree with that statement. A retailer who deals in Gray Market cigars may be a good retailer and may have some good product, but in my book they would not be classified as a reputable dealer. If you have to stoop to a level where you are taking off serial numbers on boxes so they can't be traced back to you or where you purchased them from...you are far from being totally legit.

Are we looking for honor among thieves? :D At least for the US.

A buyer buys a product that they know is illegal. The vendor is not breaking that law, but still sells a product that they know is illegal where it is being received, with perhaps misrepresenting the contents on the mailing form. Is the transaction reputable?

[quote name='Smok'em' date='25 May 2010 - 10:35 AM' timestamp='1274798155' post='972177']
[quote name='thechenman' date='24 May 2010 - 12:46 PM' timestamp='1274719579' post='971931']
[quote name='dagoR6' date='23 May 2010 - 11:55 AM' timestamp='1274630152' post='971513']
[quote name='thechenman' date='17 May 2010 - 09:04 AM' timestamp='1274112285' post='969870']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are we looking for honor among thieves?
biggrin.gif
At least for the US.

A buyer buys a product that they know is illegal. The vendor is not breaking that law, but still sells a product that they know is illegal where it is being received, with perhaps misrepresenting the contents on the mailing form. Is the transaction reputable?
[/quote]

I'd have to disagree with your statement as well. I get what you are trying to say, and far be it from me to make everyone abscribe to my personal opinions.

Yes...in the U.S. it is illegal for us to purchase CCs. It is not illegal for the source to sell them. Yes...sometimes the package is mislabled, but not always.

However, the Gray Market vendor obtains his cigars and then resells them. I on the other hand smoke mine or gift them. One is for profit, the other for enjoyment. That is one key difference. We may also both obtain cigars "ilegally;" however, my issue with the Gray Market vendors is that they are not authorized dealers of Haanos and therefore, the quality of their product to me is suspect. Plain and simple. I'd rather pay a premium for peace of mind, than risk any enjoyment I would otherwise have received from my purchase.

Of course not everyone agrees with me...and thus the proliferation of Gray Market vendors. To each his own...

I have a feeling that most if not all the reputable vendors will eventually remove the stickers especially if they are sending cigars to regions they are not authorized to sell in. It's my understanding that the barcode on the stickers will reveal which region the cigars were sent to/meant for. I'm sure that that dealers authorized only for Asia would not want evidence if they send cigars to Europe. USA? meh...who cares since non of them are legally allowed to sell here anyways. I could see if I was a vendor, whether gray or not, it would just be easier for me to remove all the stickers than to remove them only for the regions I'm not allowed to sell to.