• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Punch DC

riverratt

Biglew
Today I smoked a Punch DC. These are young MAR 07. I have smoked a couple prior to this one. They were a bit acrid and harsh near the last third. However, just one week more in my humi and the one I smoked today was great. As good as some of the pre 2003 smokes I have had laying around. Are the 2005-2007 tobac. and cigars crops just better than the late 90's - 2002? I have heard that a lot of the newer cigars have been rolled with tobac. that has been aged longer.

Today I smoked a Punch DC. These are young MAR 07. I have smoked a couple prior to this one. They were a bit acrid and harsh near the last third. However, just one week more in my humi and the one I smoked today was great. As good as some of the pre 2003 smokes I have had laying around. Are the 2005-2007 tobac. and cigars crops just better than the late 90's - 2002? I have heard that a lot of the newer cigars have been rolled with tobac. that has been aged longer.

I think that's the latest scuttle-butt on the 2007's making it more of a cigar ready to smoke now as opposed to waiting several years.

That and I think they tweaked the strain a little bit.

I agree with Rob. But the jury is out on how well '06 and '07 production will age.

Generally speaking, 2000 was a bad year for habanos, due to shortages of capa (wrapper) leaves.

I have read that the mold that affected 2000 production was not the blue mold variety that typically attacks leaves in the field. There is huge debate on this issue, but more than not, I read that the capa shortages in 2000 related to a change in the wrapper leaf being used and the change in curing techniques. Cuba began experimenting with capa leaves with the intention of making them more resilient and less susceptible to mold. Part of this experimentation included wetting the leaves and then taking them to near zero temperatures.

They also changed the construction of the curing barns from traditional palm roofs and sides to more modern asphalt roofs, etc. Again, I have read that the modern curing facilities (which were expected to dry leaves more rapidly) served to trap heat and humidity and the mold was born.

I have read that the mold that affected 2000 production was not the blue mold variety that typically attacks leaves in the field. There is huge debate on this issue, but more than not, I read that the capa shortages in 2000 related to a change in the wrapper leaf being used and the change in curing techniques. Cuba began experimenting with capa leaves with the intention of making them more resilient and less susceptible to mold. Part of this experimentation included wetting the leaves and then taking them to near zero temperatures.

They also changed the construction of the curing barns from traditional palm roofs and sides to more modern asphalt roofs, etc. Again, I have read that the modern curing facilities (which were expected to dry leaves more rapidly) served to trap heat and humidity and the mold was born.

Good info! Thanks Bobby!

I think that's the latest scuttle-butt on the 2007's making it more of a cigar ready to smoke now as opposed to waiting several years.

That and I think they tweaked the strain a little bit.

I think the smokes will 'marry' earlier....less wait time unitl they can be smoked. We'll see.