• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Punch BP box question - raised design on outside top

arfdog

Hi, have a couple of punch BP boxes bought back when (from boxdate late 2000, dont recall details though I do have pics), and recently found a 2001 box from a reputable online dealer. something which immediately strikes me is that while my 2000 boxes do not have any raised lettering/design on the top box cover center emblem, the 2001 box does. I did not receive rings on this order, and have yet to smoke one of the newer ones (tonight maybe, have been letting sit), but the box bottom seems too evenly blackened on the letter language, something counterfeiters do not seem to have been able to get right on any fake I have seen. The (larger-style) seal does have the excellent microprint legibility that seemed normal for older boxes early in the new seal introduction. There is also a font difference on the large red and other colors sticker which faces the person opening the box where the name of the size is printed, but I have seen so many font changes on varied boxes produced in different years for brand/size that it is hard to know if this is significant.

Short version - should the box top outside have raised lettering/emblem design in any way, or should it be flat, or might it be either?

edit: having tried one last night, this cigar is unlike my other BP's I have from a year earlier. Not much taste at all, and I suspect it may have dried out substantially at some point in its history prior to coming to me recently if it is real. No spiciness or other typical punch notes, really not much at all. Construction was 3 whole leaves and various pieces of cut filler of varying lengths and (short) widths, not sure if that is conclusive. I cannot conclude on taste regarding authenticity.

any thoughts appreciated.

on the anecdotal side, flight out of tocumen airport/panama today, duty free had a box of 'cohiba EL 2004's' with the warranty seal and havana/EL strips on reversed from what they should be for cohiba (the person apparently copied the non-cohiba placement model), among other notable characteristics. So many things in their display were obviously fake, so I assume 100% of their merchandise was.