• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

production problems

junkman_56

cigar smokin' caver
I read the following article and thought others would find it interesting:

enjoy...

Bad News for 2005 Production
By Helmut Rome
printed in European Cigar Cult Journal (autumn edition)

During the “Day of Tabacco Workers”, which took place in San Antonio de los Baños, in the province of Pinar del Río, the topic on everyone’s mind was this year’s unfortunate bottleneck in the cigar production. Key talking points include the promise of a raise for the tobacco workers and the announcement of this year’s serious manufacture problems facing the Cuban cigar industry. Referring to the shortages in both wrapper leaves (capas) and filler tobacco (tripas) for export cigars, experts attributed these to proportionally higher production failures in the tobacco harvest. According to official statements, only 60% of the target figures for San Juan y Martinez in Pinar del Río province – largest production zone for wrapper leaves – as well as a plantations in San Antonio de los Boños, La Habana, Manicaragua, and Sancti Spiritus were reached. Matters were made worse by heavy rainfall in April and May, partially due to tropical storm Arlene. Jose Quiñones, one of the engineers responsible for the area of San Juan y Martinez, as reporting moisture damage of up to 12 million wrapping leaves, a result of difficulties in protection over 4,000 Casas de Tabaco from the torrential rainfall. According to Quiñones estimates, this harvest’s yield in Panar del Río province will shrink by around 20%. Further causes for low yield – which is not just limited to Pinar del Rio, but extends to Sancti Spiritus, Villa Clara and Camagüey – include poor tobacco quality, lack of human resources and theft.

That's unfortunate for all involved. For the people of Cuba who will suffer loss of revenue from export shortfall. For us, as the market. Though tobacco is only their third largest export, a 20% drop in yield will be keenly felt.

Perhaps I am like others in the US who hold the (probably mistaken) impression that the welfare of the Cuban citizens would be enhanced if only the American market could participate directly in support of the tobacco industry. I'd like to help, but it feels pretty bad when you're essentially powerless.

Wilkey

Ginseng said:
Perhaps I am like others in the US who hold the (probably mistaken) impression that the welfare of the Cuban citizens would be enhanced if only the American market could participate directly in support of the tobacco industry. I'd like to help, but it feels pretty bad when you're essentially powerless.

[snapback]247866[/snapback]​

Amen.

Fortunately the Cuban people will suffer no downfall from this. They already have nothing, so more of nothing doesn't really add it to much less, if you know what I mean. Castro and his government on the other hand....

Matt R said:
Fortunately the Cuban people will suffer no downfall from this. They already have nothing, so more of nothing doesn't really add it to much less, if you know what I mean. Castro and his government on the other hand....
[snapback]247884[/snapback]​

Yes. :(

Wilkey

"and theft."

Yep, it's a good thing I get my cuban cigars from my freind's brother whose Mom dates a guy that works next to the factory. And a freind of his works in the factory and smuggles out cigars for me. That and Vitasea. :whistling:

Gonz said:
"and theft."

Yep, it's a good thing I get my cuban cigars from my freind's brother whose Mom dates a guy that works next to the factory. And a freind of his works in the factory and smuggles out cigars for me. That and Vitasea. :whistling:
[snapback]247925[/snapback]​

did i see my name mention in vain???
the shortages will affect the people directly . the rollers are paid a base pay plus bonuses for over quota,less production less pay. a friend of mine who works in the partigas factory gets a base of 20 $ and because of his skill takes home about 45$. this is twice what a doctor friend makes, who is one of the best surgeons in cuba.

The tenor of that press release made me think again how much better capitalism works than central planning.