• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Possible fake Cuban?

tboulette

Hoping to satisfy my curiosity:

I recently smoked a cigar of somewhat unknown provenance. It was given to me by my father in law, who got it from his other daughter's partner (and perhaps future son in law), who had recently traveled to South Africa, which (I assume) is where he got the cigar in question.

According to the band, it's a Punch, but the band is a bit different than what I've seen either in person (which would be the non-Cuban version anyway) or on the web. The general design is the same, but it reads "CUBA" where "MANUEL LOPEZ" usually is. Also, instead of reading "RE" in the center, it has what I might describe as an image of small ship's wheel or gear. A second, smaller band (with silver and a different color red) reads EXCLUSIVO SUDAFRICA. The shape was a shortish torpedo -- maybe 5 1/2" long, ring gauge somewhere around 46 or so.

I'm aware Habanos manufactures exclusive versions of some of its brands for various markets around the world. Can anybody tell if this particular cigar is authentic?

I ask because my understanding (having never smoked a Punch before) was they are very full bodied. This one was quite mild, almost to the point of tasteless. Hard to know what it may have been through in it's travels from South Africa, but in my limited experience it seemed to be in good shape at the time (passed the pinch test), with a good draw and very even burn. It was just -- very BLAH.

Will post a picture of the bands if I can figure out how.

I am far from the ISOM expert. But i would check Cigar Aficiandos counterfeit gallery but dont know how specific it will get on that one.