• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

PLPC tunneling issue

IanHummel

I was gifted a couple PLPC's recently and am smoking my first right now and am experiencing a pretty bad tunneling issue. The flavor and of the cigar is great but the tunneling is horrible. Anyone had consistent tunneling issues with these sticks or did I just get a bad one?

Tunneling can often be caused by improper storage. You may have gotten a badly constructed one or the middle of the cigar could just have been drier than the outside causing it to burn faster.

yeah I've never had any real tunneling issues from anything out of my humidor but this one was pretty bad for some reason. I'll let the others rest for a bit and revisit them in a month or two.

If they're smoking well, then humidity may not be your issue. However, non-uniform humidity might be. For example, if you move some sticks stabilized in a drier environment to a more moist environment this can make one side of the cigar more moist than the other, particularly if it only spends a short period of time in the new environ. The solution to this is to let the cigars acclimate to their new environ for a week or so.

Alternatively, have you felt the area ahead of the tunneling for a soft channel? In properly humidified and equilibrated cigars, the most common cause of tunneling or runs is a channel that is more open space than the rest of the cigar. The wrapper and binder over this channel burns ahead of the rest of the burn zone, resulting in a run. There is no solution to this problem except perhaps heavily dabbing the area ahead of the run with saliva.

Wilkey

Wilkey,

I was examining the cigar as I was smoking it and it looked like there was pretty much a small hole in the middle with everything burning around it. I took a picture with my camera phone, not the best, but here it is:

IMG_0043.jpg

I highlighted the areas in red. The smaller area was the actual "hole"

I was gifted a couple PLPC's recently and am smoking my first right now and am experiencing a pretty bad tunneling issue. The flavor and of the cigar is great but the tunneling is horrible. Anyone had consistent tunneling issues with these sticks or did I just get a bad one?

I have a 50 Cab from 07 that I'm trying to let sleep awhile. I find that about once a month I'll pull one of these out of my Cooler and light it up. This Cigar has an incredible draw and a nice even burn. One of my fav's in the PC size.

I've seen what the picture shows.

It's usually a packing issue...or a dead bug the rotted away!

Although even with that...the smokes still did not have a tunneling problem.

Keep an eye on the humidity.

I've seen what the picture shows.

It's usually a packing issue...or a dead bug the rotted away!

Although even with that...the smokes still did not have a tunneling problem.

Keep an eye on the humidity.
Yep. I concur.

Wilkey

Thanks for everyones input. I will revisit the others here in a month or so and see how they are then. Humidity has been at a steady 63% for a while now and I just received the smokes about a week and a half ago. Maybe I just didn't let them adjust to my levels as well as from transit.

Thanks again!

What they said about RH. Generally tunneling is due to improper RH. I suspect this even more with the smokes only having 1-2 weeks sleep. 4 weeks mimimum is my general rule.