• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Petit Coronas, Which to buy?

steamboat

Future Skinny Person
I am planning to buy a cab of petit coronas and would like to discuss which of these are best and why. Also if you have another brand you prefer I would like to know about it and why you like it.

Partagas petit corona
Por Larranaga Petit Coronas Cab 50
Punch petit coronas
Rafael Gonzalez petit coronas
Romeo y Julieta petit coronas
Bolivar petit coronas

I went with Bolivar and Romeo y Julietta. The RyJ's were on sale and who can resist a sale?

I haven't had all of them but of those I've tried, the Bolivar were my favorites.

Your query is sincere, so I hope you that will receive my response in equal sincerity. The answer is simple, and is (in my humble opinion) the best response one could receive for this somewhat common question.

Purchase a sampler. Trade for a sampler. Whatever. Just somehow acquire a mix of the cigars you are inquiring about before making any significant purchases. For some, a cab is gone within a couple of weeks and is insignificant. For others, it is their significant purchase for the quarter or longer period of time. The point is, nobody has your taste buds and olfactory senses. Nobody can answer this question as well as you can for your own self. Better for you to make an informed decision than base your decisions on hearsay from others' (sometimes confusing) opinions.

F' the sampler....buy a box of each! :thumbs:

C'mon - you know you want to!!!

Ok - take a look in the 'reviews' forum or search the net to see if these fit what you like to smoke - or are really interested in. You'll see dicussions in the cigar lounge or cuba lounge regarding most of these smokes.

Since you asked about them you probably want to try them all.
Start with the suggested sampler OR buy a box of each....and pace yourself (cough)bullshit(cough) when doing so.

One of the things with cigars is the subtle changes they go thru as they age. It's neat to see the differnce.
A 'fresh' cigar of one kind may not be to you liking - but in a year or 5 or 10 it may (and the opposite holds true).

Punch and RG! :thumbs:

I don't think either of those are available in CABs though....

I've had a couple of boxes (not cabs) of the Boli PCs and found them to be excellent when i got one that didn't have draw problems. However almost every second stick was rolled too tight and was difficult to smoke. It has put me off buying any more for the time being. Pity cause when they were good they were the best petit coronas i had ever smoked.
Pete

Definitely Por Larranaga Petit Coronas. A staple of my PC buying habits. The older, the better!

Hasta,
Darren

The Diplomaticos N°4 for a milder grab anytime smoke.

H Upmann petit corona for a more forward high quality tabacco taste. These need alot of time to produce the amazing bouquet it has to offer though. They are good smokes until about 5 then they start breaking out of their cacoon. I have some '98's that are just unbelievable. The '01's are really developed now. But who has this kinda time. Not me. Well, at least it feels like I don't. If you see them out there, grab some.

I've had a couple of boxes (not cabs) of the Boli PCs and found them to be excellent when i got one that didn't have draw problems. However almost every second stick was rolled too tight and was difficult to smoke.
I had the same problem with a cab of Boli PC's. Threw about 1/3 of 'em away....

PLPC's are very tasty, but I've recently had some Punch smokes that were fantastic. Either of those would be a good choice.... :thumbs:

I've recently had some Punch smokes that were fantastic.
Right on. I don't see the Punch Royal Selection No.12 on your list but this is a great, aromatic, and complex mareva. AND it comes in a 25-ct slide lid box. Just the thing for aging. :D Or, you could put two 25-cabs into an empty PLPC cab for the long haul...not that I'm the type to do that sort of thing. :whistling:

Wilkey

I've had a couple of boxes (not cabs) of the Boli PCs and found them to be excellent when i got one that didn't have draw problems. However almost every second stick was rolled too tight and was difficult to smoke.

PLPC's are very tasty, but I've recently had some Punch smokes that were fantastic. Either of those would be a good choice.... :thumbs:

I have found a very effective way to deal with the tight roll. I simply use a thin wooden skewer. I start from the foot. You need to go very slow so you don't crack the wrapper though. Make sure you stay centered too. This fixes about 75% of any tight drawing cigars. The other 25% are plugged, and that there is no cure. But I have saved myself hundreds of dollars with the skewer method. The key is a "THIN" skewer, smaller than a tooth pick around. Give it a try, what do you have to lose?

I have found a very effective way to deal with the tight roll. I simply use a thin wooden skewer. I start from the foot. You need to go very slow so you don't crack the wrapper though. Make sure you stay centered too. This fixes about 75% of any tight drawing cigars. The other 25% are plugged, and that there is no cure. But I have saved myself hundreds of dollars with the skewer method. The key is a "THIN" skewer, smaller than a tooth pick around. Give it a try, what do you have to lose?

You're not talking "all is right with the world" on one piercing, are you? One poke, acceptably tight, or one poke, all better? I've made pokers, got the commercial draw poker for Xmas a while back, and have found them to be mixed. Must be all the cheap assed cigars I buy. :whistling:

Man, I can't believe no one has mentioned a couple of great marevas: Juan Lopez PC and Cohiba Sig. II. The Juan Lopez are fantastic, I've got 2 and 1/2 boxes of '06s and there is no "youthfulness" to them at all. Sig IIs are obviously a lot more expensive than any other PCs, but if you can get some with at least 2 yrs. of age, they are right at the top imo.

You're not talking "all is right with the world" on one piercing, are you? One poke, acceptably tight, or one poke, all better? I've made pokers, got the commercial draw poker for Xmas a while back, and have found them to be mixed. Must be all the cheap assed cigars I buy. :whistling:

No Bruce, about 2-3 times, maybe a half a dozen. But you want to make sure the cigars aren't 75% humidified to start with. I'm a tad over 60% guy myself. I think the 70's make the cigar steam, creates to much heat for me. Also causes burn problems, and it also swells the tabacco. Just me oooown... opinion though.

I've got a piece of stainless steel rod that's even thinner than a wooden skewer that I use for just this purpose. Saves some of them, but not all.

I have come to the conclusion that life is too short to screw around with plugged cigars any more than using the wire treatment. I am guilt free when a "dowel" fails to yield up and I just pitch 'em....works every time.... :laugh:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I am planning to buy a cab of petit coronas and would like to discuss which of these are best and why. Also if you have another brand you prefer I would like to know about it and why you like it.

Partagas petit corona
Por Larranaga Petit Coronas Cab 50
Punch petit coronas
Rafael Gonzalez petit coronas
Romeo y Julieta petit coronas
Bolivar petit coronas

From first to last I'd go with...
Bolivar
Punch
Partagas
PL
RyJ

Never had the raf gonzalez so... But I agree a sampler would be best for you. All matters to what you like and then go crazy. :)