• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Pairing Cigars to Rum

Cohiba Gent

I did try searching and couldn't find anything--sorry if I missed somewhere.

I'm an avid rum drinker, typically Zaya, Barbencort, Ron, and I see there are some fans of sipping rums on here as well. What smokes have you found to pair nicely with your rums? It seems most are scotch crazy on the board, and I don't hear much about the rums.

I enjoy a good sipping rum. I've found that many cigars go nicely with a good rum and I don't mean the $20 bottle stuff. When I do drink some occasional rum, I usually smoke a spicy cigar like a Tatuaje, AF Cuban Belicoso, or a Opus X. But I must confess, my first passion is Single Malt Scotches and I do enjoy some very nice rums, tequila, gin, and vodka all straight. The best thing would to be experiment and see what works for you as my taste buds isn't the same as yours. :thumbs:

For me, smoother cigars I choose a smoother, more cane-influenced rum, like Havana Club 7 Anos or Rhum Barbancourt. There's nothing better than a glass of Havana Club and a Por Larranaga Montecarlo!

For stronger cigars, I choose a more in-your-face, barrel-influenced rum, with Flor de Cana 7 YO Grand Reserve being the perfect example. Had a glass with the Tatuaje Unico I recently reviewed and it was fantastic!

i really like RZ23, and other high end rums w/ any cigar, but i tend to be drawn to the more sweeter Whiskeys like Balvenie, Aberlour, and some of the sweeter bourbons, which all go good w/ a cigar, imo.

what are some good higher end rums? I usually drink rum just to get hammered.

There ae easily 100+ rums out there so start reviewing them and the following will take care of itself. I'm not crazy, just focused :cool:

It seems most are scotch crazy on the board, and I don't hear much about the rums.

There ae easily 100+ rums out there so start reviewing them and the following will take care of itself. I'm not crazy, just focused :cool:

It seems most are scotch crazy on the board, and I don't hear much about the rums.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I love a good Scotch like any other good Irishman, so I'd never think you crazy. :D I just happened to notice on this part of the board, the thread ratios of Scotch to other whiskeys appeared to be 10:1.

There are in fact over 360 different types of rums, which has left me very busy since the New Year began. :laugh:

I collect scotch and do reviews on what I have so that skews the review totals. Once I run out of stock the frequency will decrease.

AVB

I just happened to notice on this part of the board, the thread ratios of Scotch to other whiskeys appeared to be 10:1.

Ron Zacapa Centario 23y is my favorite. (Guatemala)
El Dorado 25y SR is a very, very close second. Harder to come by now, and pricier, as the 21 yr has largely replaced it. Still have 4 bottles of the 25y safely resting though. 21y is still amazing.(Guyana).
Pyrat XO Reserve is a damn fine rum. (Anguila)
Pusser's Nelson's Blood (red label) is another mighty fine one. (BrWI)
Sea Wynde is another equally fine rum. (Guyana and Jamaica)
Westerhall Plantation is very...unique. I like it, but it is reminiscent of Scotch a bit. I always keep it on hand. (Grenada)

Drink all regularly, and have enough of bottles of each to get me through Armageddon. I still am mostly a single-malt scotch man myself though. But, rum is a very, very, very close second. After that, Irish Whiskey is my next favorite.

El Dorado 25y SR is a very, very close second. Harder to come by now, and pricier, as the 21 yr has largely replaced it. Still have 4 bottles of the 25y safely resting though. 21y is still amazing.(Guyana).
Westerhall Plantation is very...unique. I like it, but it is reminiscent of Scotch a bit. I always keep it on hand. (Grenada)

Drink all regularly, and have enough of bottles of each to get me through Armageddon. I still am mostly a single-malt scotch man myself though. But, rum is a very, very, very close second. After that, Irish Whiskey is my next favorite.

Try the Montecristo 12yo, it's very similar to RZ23, it's also Guatemalan. I've seen the El Dorado, never tried it, but i guess now i'll have to... I'd have to say right now Rum is barely in the lead ahead of Irish, SMScotch, and Bourbon.

Try the Montecristo 12yo, it's very similar to RZ23, it's also Guatemalan. I've seen the El Dorado, never tried it, but i guess now i'll have to... I'd have to say right now Rum is barely in the lead ahead of Irish, SMScotch, and Bourbon.

Tried the Montecristo actually. Ended up passing the bottle on to my father in law. Just wasn't for me. I've found that there are very few rums there that compare with the smoothness of Zacapa 23. The El Dorado 25 definitely does, but it's about six times more expensive as well. Depending on what you're looking to sink into a bottle, either go for the El Dorado 25 (which I cannot recommend highly enough), or just go for the El Dorado 21 (which is still damnnnnnnn fine).

Tried the Montecristo actually. Ended up passing the bottle on to my father in law. Just wasn't for me. I've found that there are very few rums there that compare with the smoothness of Zacapa 23. The El Dorado 25 definitely does, but it's about six times more expensive as well. Depending on what you're looking to sink into a bottle, either go for the El Dorado 25 (which I cannot recommend highly enough), or just go for the El Dorado 21 (which is still damnnnnnnn fine).

Really, the Monte 12? I really dig the stuff, close 2nd to RZ23, but we all have different tastes...

I'll have to send you some of the Bushmills Rum Cask, if it's as good as i am anticipating

Really, the Monte 12? I really dig the stuff, close 2nd to RZ23, but we all have different tastes...

I'll have to send you some of the Bushmills Rum Cask, if it's as good as i am anticipating

You will definitely need to let me know what you think of the Bushmills Rum Cask. It's one of the very few Bushmills that I HAVEN'T tried, but tremendously want to. I do love their Sherry Hogshead, their Bourbon Barrel, their 16y and 21y, as well as simply their Black Bush. All excellent, excellent stuff. Would be very interested in knowing how the Rum Cask weighs in.

These are all great recommendations--familiar with most--but what Cigars have you paired with them and liked?