• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Open Cuba

Johnny-O!

Hello all at CP. Orbitz has organized a petition to request that Obama open Cuba to all. There is a short form on opencuba.org, maybe we can speed this up if we blast him with millions of petitions. Feel free to post this at other forums. Thanks all, John

If the embargo were to end, wouldn't the price on Cuban cigars be outrageous in America? There might even be a small (it would be huge if the economy was better) cigar boom... Even higher cigar prices... ???

If the embargo were to end, wouldn't the price on Cuban cigars be outrageous in America? There might even be a small (it would be huge if the economy was better) cigar boom... Even higher cigar prices... ???

I'd be more concerned about the quality, since I'm sure the production would jump.

I'd be more concerned about the quality, since I'm sure the production would jump.

These have been discussed....search is your friend!

:whistling:

I'm sure Orbitz is especially concerned about the effect opening Cuba would have on everything other than its potential sales :rolleyes:

I would love for the embargo to end for personal (ie cigars) and humanitarian reasons. But, it can't be done overnight and without significant changes in the Casto regime.

Mike...Orbitz is not promoting that the embargo end, only that free travel to Cuba be allowed from the US. Personally I feel the island would benefit greatly if thousands of Americans were flying in daily. Besides from the economic advantage, we could all be abassadors to spread our culture be it from Texas, California, New York or whatever your town so that Cuban people can develop ideas from outside sources. Remember.... most of them have no access to internet, cable/Direct TV, newspapers or even magazines. Their only media source is the government owned TV station that is full of propaganda and revolution rah-rah-rah. Change has to come from within the country, and we are possibly the only ones that could do it by sharing ideas and information for a country that has been cut off from the rest of the world. John

Mike...Orbitz is not promoting that the embargo end, only that free travel to Cuba be allowed from the US. Personally I feel the island would benefit greatly if thousands of Americans were flying in daily. Besides from the economic advantage, we could all be abassadors to spread our culture be it from Texas, California, New York or whatever your town so that Cuban people can develop ideas from outside sources. Remember.... most of them have no access to internet, cable/Direct TV, newspapers or even magazines. Their only media source is the government owned TV station that is full of propaganda and revolution rah-rah-rah. Change has to come from within the country, and we are possibly the only ones that could do it by sharing ideas and information for a country that has been cut off from the rest of the world. John

And I agree for the most part John, I was just being cynical about Orbitz only being concerned with the potential sales of opening Cuba to American tourists.

I actually had a very interesting conversation about this yesterday. And I would love to see it open, but importation of cuban cigars would be far down on the list of priorities.

Lots of power concerns now. The main streets in Havana have the street lights off, a cold beer or soda was hard to find. The airport is set at a comfortable 90 F. On my last night I got in the shower about midnight and the lights went out. Had to use my cel phone to see what I was doing. Take a flashlight if you make the trip. John

I actually had a very interesting conversation about this yesterday. And I would love to see it open, but importation of cuban cigars would be far down on the list of priorities.
I don't think it will be too far down on the list Ed as it's their largest means of income...one of the only desirable exports to the rest of the World. It's the legal wrangling that will take place that would delay the arrival of cigars here.

John, it's really dumbfounding that the Castros have remained in control this long.

This is what fueled Castro in the first place, he didn't want cuban culture tainted with american culture. He saw that American's were buying up the place and just straight up moving in. This is what started and made him popular, in his rise to power.

I have often heard rumors that the Cubans have inventoried serveral million Cuban cigars for export just in case the embargo witht the U.S. is lifted. As far as exports go...I believe tobacco products are #3, #1 would be sugar. I believe with Obama in the White House, there is greater liklihood that travel to Cuba could be opened up than at any time since Kennedy placed the embargo on Cuba. As far as trade goes, I don't think that would open up until the governement makes some concessions in its ideaology. It could happen as Raul is seen to be more accomodating of capitalism than Castro. We have seen with China that a Communist regime can embrace Capitalism to a degree, and that it can greatly benefit the country in doing do. Don't get me wrong...it takes time and things won't be perfect, but the lights won't go out when you take a shower at midnight, and you will likely be able to get a cold beer or soda just about anywhere.