• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Open boxes

Oracle

if it's not against the rules, is it considered common practice to open boxes to check for beetles? Is there any real reason why they need to be opened?

Been buying from JR for years and they never felt the need to open a box...

just checking if this is a common acceptable practice or if it's B.S.

if it's against the rules I'll just wipe it out.

thanks

It is my opinion that IF I'd order these illegal cigars that I'd WANT them to be inspected before shipment.

If buying an aged box, I would say yes. Besides beetles, there is mold to look for. For regular production stuff, it all depends on your comfort level. It also depends on how well you trust your vendor and whether or not they have a replacement policy if you don't get the box inspected. I don't think there is a common "custom" to open new production boxes before shipping; some do, some don't. Talk to your vendor about your concerns and if you really want, I am sure they will inspect the boxes prior to shipping them.

I've found some nice sites going into great depth on box codes, fakes and the subtle differences. It was mentioned on one site that not having in tact seals usually means a repacked box. To me it's more of a curiosity as to acceptable practices in the world regarding ISOMs.

I can't see why product from one location would be more susceptible to beetles than another. I thought the problem was beetle eggs possibly hatching if the temps in your humidor were constantly higher than 75 or so. And why would mold be more of a problem from one place and not another? I'd think with a fair portion of the economy based on tobacco production that the manufacturers would at least be of similar standard to those in Honduras or the DR. I've never actually watched the entire rolling process to packaging, but I wouldn't think a beetle could get into a box while packaging, so it must be the eggs that can't be seen on the leaves. Is the process so different in ISOM that hatched eggs are more of a concern?

I've only recently started spending more time on getting better educated about cigars in general and always bought the same smokes until I came here and found other excellent retailers like CI, Famous, etc. I'm thinking maybe that because demand is so high that lesser quality product is being shipped out at certain times. It also seems like there is more of a concern regarding old boxes still being sold today what with all the date codes and such. I'd think with the demand being high that we'd see nothing but fresh product on the market and that most would actually benefit from a bit of aging.

I dunno, anything more I can learn about practices and manufacturing is greatly appreciated. More info helps me decide what may be BS and what may be a valuable service.

Thanx

I would want them to open the boxes before they ship; just to make sure things are on the up and up.

our practice is to only open boxes upon customer request. some folks are very touchy when you slice open their seals.

it is generally a good idea to have your aged boxes open to avoid any surprises.

Did some more research on this... I guess Cuba is were the biggest beetle problems are. I was reading something on another site about the beetles and they mention that the larger houses keep up well with the beetle problems in their factories. Maybe due to demand of cubans, the smaller factories are pumping out more product and can't keep the sanitation up?

And what's the deal about mold though? Unless you're buying something aged over there, why would mold be more of a problem on cubans than hondos or DR? Sanitary conditions again?

One other question, slightly off topic, but is it true that certain countries get lower caliber smokes? I read somewhere that the best quality from the original factories usually goes to Europe, and then on down the line. I heard the stuff that goes to Canada, Mexico comes from satellite factories and not usually the original factories. Can that be verified with box codes?

Did some more research on this... I guess Cuba is were the biggest beetle problems are. I was reading something on another site about the beetles and they mention that the larger houses keep up well with the beetle problems in their factories. Maybe due to demand of cubans, the smaller factories are pumping out more product and can't keep the sanitation up?

Producing more cigars is part of it.

And what's the deal about mold though? Unless you're buying something aged over there, why would mold be more of a problem on cubans than hondos or DR? Sanitary conditions again?

When I was referencing mold, I was referring to aged boxes. You rarely see mold on new production cigars. Often vendors will run their humidity a little high (upper 60%) and this can lead to mold growth over time. Fuente has had a rough stretch of mold problems over the past few years. This is probably due to factory and/or shipping problems as they arrived to shops this way. With Cubans, it is GENERALLY the retailers who cause the mold problems.

One other question, slightly off topic, but is it true that certain countries get lower caliber smokes? I read somewhere that the best quality from the original factories usually goes to Europe, and then on down the line. I heard the stuff that goes to Canada, Mexico comes from satellite factories and not usually the original factories. Can that be verified with box codes?

No, this is a common rumor and misconception, but is not true.

lol yes, ive heard that rumor as well, usually from guys who can only buy cc in europe.

we are cc merchants in mexico. having travelled extensively in europe and in cuba, i believe we sell only the best quality cc.

sure there is a significant problem with fake cc in latin america, that should not diminish the rep of all those folks who are selling quality cigars from an authorized distributor.

check out our website if you have any doubt about our reputation and/or quality of our cigars.

cheers
drew p

yes, ive heard that rumor as well, usually from guys who can only buy cc in europe.

we are cc merchants in mexico. having travelled extensively in europe and in cuba, i believe we sell only the best quality cc.

sure there is a significant problem with fake cc in latin america, that should not diminish the rep of all those folks who are selling quality cigars from an authorized distributor.

check out our website if you have any doubt about our reputation and/or quality of our cigars.

cheers
drew p

--------------------

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Merida, Mexico
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x-xxx-xxx-xxxx
www.xxxxxxxxxxxxx

A must read for Drewcali : Link

Many members of CigarPass are also retailers, but they respect the boundries regarding self promotion when they post outside of the retailer's forum. How about contacting Rod about promoting your business through a sponsorship of CigarPass instead?

yes, ive heard that rumor as well, usually from guys who can only buy cc in europe.

cheers
drew p

A must read for Drewcali : Link

Many members of CigarPass are also retailers, but they respect the boundries regarding self promotion when they post outside of the retailer's forum. How about contacting Rod about promoting your business through a sponsorship of CigarPass instead?
i would be happy to support cigar pass. this is a fine board with interesting dialog and discussion. i hope the appropriate parties will conatct me regarding this topic.
i am not promoting my business. i am defending the quality of cigars sold here in mexico.
this is the second time i have been chastized, by an FOG for self promotion here when responding to allegations of fake cigars or alleged inferior quality of cigars in mexico.
if i have stepped on any toes, or disregarded protocols, my sincerest apologies.
i believe there is a clear difference between self promotion and my posts. please take a deep breath and reconsider your statements.

--------------------

Mercer Cigars
Merida, Mexico
Guaranteed Shipping World-wide
1-866-793-3309
www.mercercigars.com

i am not promoting my business.

Read Me <----------------- Hint One ! ;)

i would be happy to support cigar pass. this is a fine board with interesting dialog and discussion. i hope the appropriate parties will conatct me regarding this topic.
i am not promoting my business. i am defending the quality of cigars sold here in mexico.
this is the second time i have been chastized, by an FOG for self promotion here when responding to allegations of fake cigars or alleged inferior quality of cigars in mexico.
if i have stepped on any toes, or disregarded protocols, my sincerest apologies.
i believe there is a clear difference between self promotion and my posts. please take a deep breath and reconsider your statements.

--------------------

xxxxxxxxxxxxx <----------------------------------------------------
Merida, Mexico <-----------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <----------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <-----------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <----------------------------------- Hint Two !

This post has been edited by Drewcali: Yesterday, 08:47 PM

--------------------

xxxxxxxxxxxx <---------------------------------------------------
Merida, Mexico <---------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <--------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <---------------------------------------------------
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <---------------------------------Hint Three!

Drew,
Allow me to make the following observations and comments regarding your recent posts.

lol yes, ive heard that rumor as well, usually from guys who can only buy cc in europe.

cheers
drew p
All the bolded references in your post can be reasonably expected to speak to your specific business and interest.

See my note above regarding your first post. The point is, this interpretation (that you are specifically promoting your business) would not be unreasonable based on your language and framing.

i am defending the quality of cigars sold here in mexico.
Then your statements must be made addressing the level of "cigar sales in Mexico." Your statement, highlighted in red, would have been entirely appropriate and sufficient.

this is the second time i have been chastized, by an FOG for self promotion here when responding to allegations of fake cigars or alleged inferior quality of cigars in mexico. if i have stepped on any toes, or disregarded protocols, my sincerest apologies.
i believe there is a clear difference between self promotion and my posts.
As I've tried to point out, the difference may not be quite as clear as it might seem to you.

please take a deep breath and reconsider your statements.
Drew,
The pride you have in your business surely shows. That much is easy to see. I would only ask that you take a step back and consider approaching discussions of this nature from a more conservative standpoint. That is to say, assume that the audience of potential customers here is perhaps more sensitive to issues of self-promotion and potential conflicts of interest than you or other online communities might be.

I appreciate the perspective that you bring to CP and I think that once we establish a mutual understanding, there will be no further misunderstandings.

Best,
Wilkey

wilkey-

for me, this is a great board because of volume of quality content. you are a big measure of that vqc on this board.

you'll have to forgive me if i somethimes get too amped up. i practically live in a cc shop. i'm here with these women 14 hour days. our humi is 19' x 7' and full of cool stuff. i talk, in spanish all day to vendors, friends, customers and staff. it is great to come online and putter around in english, because my head is throbbing from talking to these women. did i mention, all day???? and night! : )

no worries. in the future, i'll try to confine my comments to flavor profiles of the isoms i personally smoke. the rest is just the devil in the details.

you guys rock.

cheers
drew p

Read Me <----------------- Hint One ! ;)

--------------------

Mercer Cigars <----------------------------------------------------
Merida, Mexico <-----------------------------------------------------
Guaranteed Shipping World-wide <----------------------------------
1-866-793-3309 <-----------------------------------------------------
www.mercercigars.com <----------------------------------- Hint Two !

This post has been edited by Drewcali: Yesterday, 08:47 PM

--------------------

Mercer Cigars <---------------------------------------------------
Merida, Mexico <---------------------------------------------------
Guaranteed Shipping World-wide <--------------------------------
1-866-793-3309 <---------------------------------------------------
www.mercercigars.com <---------------------------------Hint Three!

MMM-

where you ever a school teacher? you were probably a very cool hs teacher when you were younger.

you should send me your addy so i can send some appreciation your way. im sure i could find something that would make you happy?

cheers,
drew p

MMM-

where you ever a school teacher? you were probably a very cool hs teacher when you were younger.

you should send me your addy so i can send some appreciation your way. im sure i could find something that would make you happy?

cheers,
drew p

Teaching? Ummm noooo, but does coaching the girl's wrestling team in high school count ? It wasn't an official sanctioned sport, but I volunteered my hands-on experience in the evenings & weekends. The only schoolin' I do now is at the hat check department for CigarPass. ;)

Thanks for correcting your signature tag.

MMM-

cheers,
drew p

Teaching? Ummm noooo, but does coaching the girl's wrestling team in high school count ? It wasn't an official sanctioned sport, but I volunteered my hands-on experience in the evenings & weekends. The only schoolin' I do now is at the hat check department for CigarPass. ;)

I'm curious now. What DID you do when way back when you were younger?

MMM-

cheers,
drew p

i guess that's a no on the offer. no worries. i'll hold your stuff until you feel more friendly.

cheers

cheers

A Few Years ago 5a y 16 in Miramar had a big problem with termites. The open air restaurant next door was made of wood and was covered. By the time they got around for somebody to look into it it had spread into the cigar warehouse and the private humidor area. They had to level the restaurant, close the cigar shop to fumigate and replace the wood in the cigar shop. It did not need get to this extreme and we are talking about termites, but that is Cuba's pace. So you may get the same reaction time for beetles. On another ocasion I was at the Comodoro in Miramar and I showed the clerk beetles jumping out of the box. They had a the temp gauge in there reading 80 F and 80 RH, I pointed that out to them as well. They showed little concern over that. On the island you technically have permission to open the boxes for inspection, but they don't want to see you on the floor with 50 opened boxes trying to find the best ones. Hope this helps, John