• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Navy Reserves

merlik

Hey all, I am about to finish up active duty and I am thinking of going into the reserves to ease transition and get a hefty re-enlistment bonus in the process. I was hoping to find someone to talk to and see what kind of stuff they do. I have no contacts for the reserves out here and not even the recruiters are returning my e-mail so any help would be great. Thanks for the help and sorry it is so far off topic from cigars.

Go to their web site. You'll be able to see what opportunities are available, unlike other branches of the reserves they have limited number of bases for the obvious reasons. Good luck with this. I did this a long time ago and have enjoyed it.

A great buddy of mine is an ex jar head who was older than dirt when 9/11 happened and the Naval Reserves were the only sane ones who would take and aging gung ho guy that bleeds red white and blue. He is a Sea Bee (sp) and is preparing for his second tour at the grand age of 46!

I'm sure he would love to give you a call if you'd like, drop me a pm if interested.

I'm in the IRR (Individual Ready Reserve) aka Inactive Reserve. I don't have to do anything but maintain my uniforms and ID card. I don't drill, but I also don't get any pay or benefits.

From what I understand, if you plan to transition into drilling reserves, you have a pretty decent chance at getting to go where you choose.

Sorry I don't have any actual experience on what you'll be doing.

Best of luck!

Thanks, I am mainly trying to figure out how I can make sure I go to college while doing the drilling reserves without too much of a chance of getting activated. I know there is always the chance, but I want to make sure that I don't have more of a chance since I will be prior active duty.

Have you thought of applying to NROTC as an Officer Candidate through the Seaman to Admiral program?

Have you thought of applying to NROTC as an Officer Candidate through the Seaman to Admiral program?

No I haven't but that might be something I can look at. Only problem is I don't have a degree.

You don't need a degree. The idea is to earn a bachelors degree and become a commissioned officer. You are essentially assigned to a Navy ROTC unit as if it were your next command, and you go through the NROTC program while you attend the college or university. You are commissioned upon graduation.

I went through Navy ROTC at the University of Rochester, and there were several prior enlisted sailors (mostly Petty Officers) in the program with me.

edited for grammar.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that program. I'm just worried about having an extended commitment to the navy after that though. Plus I have a failed fitness test within the last 3 years because I have never been a good runner. That might disqualify me right away.