• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My trip in Louisiana

Posting from my hotel room in south Louisiana, I’m having a pretty good time. Upon our arrival Thursday and checking in, we pretty much visited my parents and basically caught up. Friday was the rehearsal, then the rehearsal dinner where I planned on introducing family members to the cigar smoking. Under a hard prejudice from my father, due to the fact his father had died from many years of smoking cigars (inhaling), my mission was to try to convince him, my brother and my nephew that smoking cigars is nothing like smoking cigarettes, as we all know. I went through the step-by-step process of how a cigar is made, the different types and countries, how to cut and how to smoke. The men seemed genuinely interested, while the women walked away in disgust…this was what I expected anyway. I gave my brother a Bacarrat, being a nice mild cigar with a little sweetness when drawing. My nephew I gave a Fire. I had an Opus X myself. As I demonstrated how to properly draw from the cigar and how to watch the cigar for even burn and tightness of the draw, each individual was hanging on my every word. We enjoyed each other’s company with nice cigars…I explained that this was what good cigars are all about.
After the wedding, I lit up a nice Hoyo Excalibur Epicure (one of my fav’s) and passed it between my brother and nephew between drinking beer and throwing the pig skin around. Following the wedding, we all came back to the hotel. Much to my surprise, my brother had an ISOM Cohiba Robusto that he had apparently gotten from Mexico the year before. He said he paid $5-6 for it. I explained how Cohiba was probably the most counterfeited cigar around and that is possible that this was in fact the same. Of course, we had to test it out. The ash was dark gray and I remember someone saying that this was a sign of a counterfeit. Cuban cigars, from what I understand, mostly have a nice white ash. Regardless, the cigar was not that bad. I told him he got an ok tasting cigar for what he payed for it, but be thankful he didn’t pay $15+ for it!
After many more beers and visiting, we ended up firing up a Plasencia and a CAO Black (I think). By then, well we all how our memories go after X number of beers.
We still have one more day here and I am enjoying my time. I believe my two relatives intently want to become regular cigar smokers seeing how much I enjoy them. Even thought I’ve only recently begun smoking cigars, they can see how cigars can bring strangers, family, men and women together to be enjoyed, or just to be smoked by yourself in a relaxing environment.
Thanks for letting me post my memoirs! :)

A man on a mission, hehe. Great story Boone, and thanks for passing the good word :)

Nice story! I have a good friend visiting on R&R from Iraq and I gifted him my next to last aged cuban while sharing a few beers. It wasn't his first cigar, but since he likes to smoke errr to be polite about it "american brands that come in cardboard" he was knocked out of his socks by it.

Sharing the love of the leaf is what its all about, and you stepped up to the plate and hit a homerun in my eyes! :thumbs:

Nice read!

Just to possibly ease your concerns...if there wwere no other signs that the CoRo was a fake (it might very well ahve been, though...you are correct that these are some of the most ocunterfeited in the world) cubans are not knopwn for having a very white ash. As a matter of fact, a very white, very uniform, very solid ash is, imho, a likely indicator of a fake, perhaps a re-band.

moki seems to be the resident conterfiet expert hell I know I'm not I cant even spell it...lol IMHO as long as you enjoyed the smoke pee on it dont matter one way or the other ...but sounds like your havin a blast bro so enjoy your last day