• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

My Father Fonseca MX

• Thread starter Thread starter MX
  • Start date Start date

MX

Quietly getting back into the cigar culture.....
My Father

Fonseca MX
Toro Grande (6.5 x 56)
• Wrapper: Mexican San Andres
• Binder: Nicaraguan
• Filler: Nicaraguan
• Strength: Medium-Full

**NOTE: this review is for this cigar, at the time of smoking**
Screenshot 2024-08-09 091041.png

20240802_175523.jpg

20240802_194659.jpg

20240802_201258.jpg

My very first “real” premium cigar was the Don Pepin Blue label, and I have never looked back. This brand, this factory, everything I have tried, I have loved. There are only 2 other Brands I can say that about, LFD and RoMa Craft.

This is the second Vitola of this cigar I have smoked, the first was the Cedros, and I smoked it right out of the lounge humidor. Now, this almost never works out for me, I like to smoke a bit on the drier side. And while that cigar had issues due to humidity, I could still tell it was a fantastic cigar. So, I went out and purchased 10 of the Toro Grande. They have been resting in my humidor for about 2 months, the score sheet will tell you exactly how long. Both cigars were smoked in the same lounge, in the same chair actually…funny!

This is a fantastic cigar, from tip to tail, start to finish. The San Andres wrapper is amazing to smoke, and to look at, it a deep brown, dry with a fantastic texture. The wrapper provides an earthiness to the blend that for me is very welcomed.

Smoking the cigar was everything I expected, but I still think a few more months of rest and they will really shine. First third started out with the Pepin Pepper blast, but the wrapper tends to tone it down, smoke was thick and creamy, and the finish was long and dry…time to get a bottle of water, overall, the flavors are super dark, dark fruit or chocolate, deep wood and leather. Second third there is a slight hint of sweetness, and the flavor profile has lightened up, enough to notice, and almost call it a profile change, and now the 2nd band is in the way. Burn and construction is doing ok, burn is chasing itself just a bit. The finish, well the finish is everything a Pepin finish promises, full on back to the dark flavors, black coffee and the spice is on full display, but it all works, and works very well.

I truly enjoyed the MFF cedros cigars -- I'm glad I'm not the only one! Also warms my heart to continue to read love for Pepin Blue!

Reactions: MX