• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo Robusto Extra

highdudgeon

Hi,

Let me just state that, generally, I've become increasingly disappointed with Cuban cigars. I mean that in terms of value: construction (Boliver Royal Coronas are an example for me) is uneven, prices exorbitant (Cohiba Siglio VI, esplendido, others) and sometimes over-hyped (sorry, just smoked 2 Cohiba Maduro Magicos 2 days in a row; they were a let down, with an "ashy" flavor that, frankly, wasn't as nice -- to me -- as a Fuente Fina Flor I'd smoked earlier in the day. And, NONE of these cigars have left me with the broad smile of an Oliva V Belicoso (fantastic first half, good bit of second, toss rest).

Anyway. But, I do keep coming back because of are reliably solid. The Monte #2. The HdM Petit Robusto, which is a wonderful "walk in the fields" cigar.

And, I look like Trinidads.

So, that makes me wonder about the Robusto Extra. It is very expensive! In the non-Cuban market, twenty bucks a stick -- ten bucks a stick -- gets you a lot of cigar. However, I have to wonder if the value factor is up there with this one. Has anyone smoked a few? can you make comparisons to other Cuban and non-Cuban cigars?

And, seriously, those Magicos were a huge disappointment. And, not, they were not fakes. I just expected a lot more than "pretty okay but tastes a bit like ash." No unique flavor like an Oliva, Padron, Fuente, La Aurora....(all cigars I really dig. And, I managed to get a box of the Padron 1926s!)

And, I look like Trinidads.

So, that makes me wonder about the Robusto Extra.
I'm a little confused. Are you wanting to know about the Trinidad RE? Your title says Montecristo RE and there is no such cigar.

Concerning the Trinidad, I have had only one it was bad enough for me not to smoke it past half-way and not to seek out anymore to try. Some enjoy it, but there are quite a few who consider it the worst of the Trinidad line, including myself.

Please clarify which cigar you're speaking of, as I'm confused as well.

And, seriously, those Magicos ... No unique flavor like...

I must respectfully disagree with this. The handful of Maduro 5s I've smoked have been quite unique. While they don't show "classic" Cuban flavor - whatever that maybe be (a shout out to Moki ;) ) - and some folks dislike them for that, they do have their own style.

Must be the Trini RE. Not a bad cigar in my experience but not my favorite. I really only enjoy and stock the Reyes.

I've also enjoyed the Cohiba M5 Secretos and Genios. Haven't tried the Magicos yet but I don't imagine it would be all that different from the Genios. Far from being tasteless and ashy, I've found them to be uniformly sweet, rich, and satisfying in the way that the best of NC maduros are. It is true that they don't taste much like either of the two Cohiba lines (or anything else from standard Cuban production that I cant think of) but smoked on their own merits, these are pricey, if delicious cigars.

Wilkey

Sorry, I was typing quickly and, yes, I meant the Trini RE.

Here's the deal: I just keep searching for a great, consistent, flavorful but not over-the-top, 20-35 minute smoke. The Hoyo is pretty close to that.

The Magicos: it may just be the ones I bought. I have no idea and I do think there are some issues with my regular tobacconist. However, I have a box of Siglio IVs and Robustos and both are very good.

But, really, the first time I smoked that Oliva Belicoso, it knocked me out.

Your comments have pretty much gotten me to shy away from the trini's, then. There's almost the Monte #5 which, while not great or anything, is always good for a short smoke.