• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Montecristo "A"

sgates

Recently, a friend of mine in Canada got a box of Montecristo "A" in with a 2002 box code. Gorgeous presentation, huge cigars, and a wonderful smell (so I'm told).

I have seen some molinos, but no other "A" sizes, so I was interested to see these.

img032.jpg

img033.jpg

Any comments as to what to expect for him? We have read MRN's comments, but wanted to see what any personal experiences are?

(sorry once again for the pics, he only haa a camera phone at this moment)

Seth :D

He can expect a couple hours of smoking time... :)

I can't claim any expertise, because I've only smoked a few of these, and the last one probably five years ago, but my recollection is that they were good. Not mind-blowing, but good.

It's tough not to place expectations on a cigar that expensive and impressively sized, and I'm sure I've been guilty of having those expectations.

The ones I've smoked were solidly medium-bodied after the first couple of inches, with rich, smooth flavors, which built up nicely as the cigar got smaller.

IMO, everyone should try a couple.

Personally, I'd be inclined to buy a couple of boxes of #2 and a box of #5 for around the same money. But I very seldom have the free time it would take me to give a Gran Corona the attention it deserves.

Roger that tig. These days I find it hard to marshall my attention for 3 hours of anything other than sleeping. The double coronas (prominentes} is the largest cigar that I smoke and then only 3 or 4 a year. I've not tackled an A-size but if I had the time to smoke, I would rather tackle 2 or 3 different smaller cigars over the same smoking episode.

Wilkey

The "A"'s are a typical Montecristo. I agree with tigger that the longer you smoke them, the better they get, but the size of the wrapper leaf and the skill to wrap them are the only things that make this more expensive, IMHO. I love Monte's and it is a treat. These are great for all day outdoor grill parties in the fall when you can be outside for 2-3 hours without turning red!

My friend has a bunch of time on his hands now a days with work slowing down, smoking in the house (no wife / kids), and some nice books to sit down with (and a new bottle of Calvados from the sister in France). A 2 -3 hour smoke once and a while is something nice, but I'm in agreement with all of the above. He typically just sticks to robustos, pc's, and corona sized cigars for the the one hour experience.

It will be interesting to see how these develop from start to finish.

Question:

Even well kept at 62% RH - does the draw suffer slightly from the overall length being so great?

does the draw suffer slightly from the overall length being so great?

That's not been my experience. But the ones I smoked were from before '01, when it seems quality took a nosedive for awhile.

I've smoked the EMS version of the Monte A. They just plain suck. Now the other Monte A which is EMS, they are a nice cigar. As noted, takes a few hours. I prefer the Monte A's over most of the other Montes they make. I do prefer the Especial #1 over every Monte but the A. :thumbs:

I've smoked the EMS version of the Monte A. They just plain suck. Now the other Monte A which is EMS,

I'm confused. Even if you meant "...which isn't EMS," I don't believe the blend is any different between EMS and other Havana cigars. Just a measure of quality control (and perhaps a justification for the ridiculous prices in the UK) that Hunters and Frankau uses on their UK imports.

Am I totally misreading you? It's entirely possible.

Quality control is the only difference between EMS and "non-EMS" and even that has been curbed a bit with the new quality control practices at Habanos SA. No blend difference, factory difference or aging difference in today's world.

As to the Monetcristo A. It is probably my favorite of the gran corona size, though the custom Cohiba blends I've had were mighty good. The Sancho Panza Sancho is a cheaper alternative to a good gran corona vs. the Montecristo. As with other big cigars, these need a lot of time and patience towards the aging cycle. Newer than '98 would be a waste to smoke right now, IMHO.

The Sancho Panza Sancho is a cheaper alternative to a good gran corona vs. the Montecristo. As with other big cigars, these need a lot of time and patience towards the aging cycle. Newer than '98 would be a waste to smoke right now, IMHO.

Sorry, meant Sanchos and not Molino in my original post.

I picked one single cigar in a coffin, from Cuba. I have two, and haven't smoked either, yet :whistling:

MonteA001.jpg

I've smoked the EMS version of the Monte A. They just plain suck. Now the other Monte A which is EMS,

I'm confused. Even if you meant "...which isn't EMS," I don't believe the blend is any different between EMS and other Havana cigars. Just a measure of quality control (and perhaps a justification for the ridiculous prices in the UK) that Hunters and Frankau uses on their UK imports.

Am I totally misreading you? It's entirely possible.

The EMS is actually different. On my quote I meant between the version of EMS and non EMS releases of the Monte A. Its even more milder than normal the release of cuban cigars of the same version. If you get a chance to try ANY EMS cigars, I would recommend it. Especially ones before 2005. My first Monte A was a EMS from 2002. I picked it up at the Davioff Shop in London and a friend of mine that is now a member of CP had one at the same time I did. Between that one and the NC Monte A, I actually preferred the NC version. I did aquire a 5 pack of Monte A's that wasnt EMS and they was pretty tasty. Still mild but way better than the Monte A EMS. I even got some Ramon Allones EMS cigars and handed them out to some to try and they even noticed the difference.

I cant say if the tobacco used is better but I know from personal experience that there is a difference between any EMS version to ones that isnt. Hell, even the Rocky Patel cigars that is the EMS release taste really mild to the normal release we see in the US. I've smoked maybe 30 different EMS cigars versus the thousand or so that wasnt EMS. :thumbs:

PS to add...I even posted what the EMS Coffin of the Monte A looks like a long time ago. Its different as well.

DSCN02530001.jpg

The coffin is a very dark brown versus what Sunward posted which is also what my non EMS ones look like.

If you get a chance to try ANY EMS cigars...

I've had quite a few. I firmly believe it's nothing more than a quality control thing. H & F inspect the cigars and put an EMS sticker on them.

Also, I really doubt the difference in the coffins is germane, any more than the diference in bands is. Packaging can change over time...

Do you have a source that states EMS vs Non-EMS are different?

Edited to add: Also, I wonder if the age of the EMS cigars you smoked had anything to do with your perception. You mentioned RAs. Most of them need alot of time, and without it can seem weak and flat.

Mr. Peat, with all due respect to your post, there is not a difference in the cigars labeled EMS other than that the boxes are marked EMS. What comes out of Habanos SA and goes to H&F, who labels them as EMS, are the exact same cigars that go to Pacific or any other distributor. H&F will sometimes reject cases of cigars if they don't meet the EMS standards that they set up years ago. This happens less and less with the new quality control in Cuba. It is true that years and years ago, there was a difference. EMS cigars had what we now consider regular wrapper leaf, as opposed to AMS (American Selection), which were often candela wrappers. This was way before the revolution though. Before the cigar boom there were some differences in that H&F would age cigars before bringing them to market. But, after the boom this was not happening for the obvious reasons.

As to the coffins being different, you are correct. But, the reason has nothing to do with the cigars inside. These cigars are put into coffins post sale to distributors. H&F made up these coffins (the darker ones), Habanos SA did not and they were sold to retailers in the UK. There is a German merchant who has done the same with not only Monte A's, but also Sancho Sanchos and Trinidad Fundadores. The ones being sold in Cuba are also after the fact and not official production.

An early EMS version is in the middle, the others are from Germany:
0009-vi.jpg

0005-vi.jpg

I was about to say the same, but figured CP didn't need another "This is what I love about this place" comment from me!