• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Meat smoking question?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
In preparation for cooking the bacon bomb I posted in the grill/smoker thread, I would like some advice.

Sometimes when I smoke something for hours the smoke flavor is overpowering. Especially if there may be leftovers, so I will add smoke for 50% of the time; my question is ..... should I put the pellet smoker in for the first half or the second half?

I've heard it said that meat takes in most of the smoke flavor in the early cooking process, up to about 140 degrees. So my assumption would be to leave the bomb bare for the first half of the smoke and then wrap it in foil or butcher paper for the second half.

In preparation for cooking the bacon bomb I posted in the grill/smoker thread, I would like some advice.

Sometimes when I smoke something for hours the smoke flavor is overpowering. Especially if there may be leftovers, so I will add smoke for 50% of the time; my question is ..... should I put the pellet smoker in for the first half or the second half?
Type of wood plays a huge roll in this…

Your OP doesn't state weather your doing this on a grill with a pellet box. Or a smoker?

If your doing on a grill with one of those pellet boxes , I'd put it on for the first 10-15 minutes and take off.

If in a smoker I don't know what smoker you have but believe you have a MBE , which I have always found to out a harsh smoke flavor on food. You could try pulling the chips out at around 10-15 minutes and opening vent all the way.

I've actually found that to be the other way around in two instances. One time I did stuffed pork chops, and another doing a pork loin I used applewood. Neither time I wasn't even able to eat the meat the smoke was so strong.

I've actually found that to be the other way around in two instances. One time I did stuffed pork chops, and another doing a pork loin I used applewood. Neither time I wasn't even able to eat the meat the smoke was so strong.
Interesting

I don't use hickory or mesquite for anytime. Don't like the flavor and it's too strong.

Your OP doesn't state weather your doing this on a grill with a pellet box. Or a smoker?

If your doing on a grill with one of those pellet boxes , I'd put it on for the first 10-15 minutes and take off.

If in a smoker I don't know what smoker you have but believe you have a MBE , which I have always found to out a harsh smoke flavor on food. You could try pulling the chips out at around 10-15 minutes and opening vent all the way.
I have a gas grill with half of it line with fire brick so anything I Smoke Gets indirect heat. I use a pellet box.

I have small Hickory pellets and apple pellets that I buy at home depot.

Someday I have to really pay attention to the difference in flavor and depth of smoke.😁
Try red or white oak , or red white oak together 1:1 ratio. Add in some apple or peach for a hint of fruit.

Maybe try a pellet thats allready blended like pit boss comp blend or treager blend