• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Making a sweet humidor

dtum11

I was recently given my great granddads tool chest that he made and decided to turn it into a humidor. This is what I have done so far.

[sharedmedia=gallery:images:10018]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:10020]
[sharedmedia=gallery:images:10019]

It looks like you're doing a great job!
If you need any help, myself and quite a few other members have made our own humidors.
I'm sure everyone would love it if you posted an introduction in the intro section of the forum.

I will do an introduction tomorrow and I'm sure I will be asking questions very soon! Thanks for the warm welcome!

Of course! Good luck with your humidor build, As long as it seals well and you season it properly, you should probably do fine.
Don't forget to search about the seasoning process, or anything that you're not sure of.

Got an intro posted this morning! Do you have any recommendations on a good humidifier, I would prefer a passive humidifier (or two maybe?) The humidor is about 3 cubic feet in volume? Thanks for any help!

I caught you on your intro, but I wanted to catch you here as well. I seem to see a finish of some sort on the inside of the humidore. If that is the case, you will have to wait quite a while before you put cigars in there, or they will absorb the smell of the finish.

Ideally, the humi should be lined with unfinished spanish cedar. This wood adds a great flavor profile and helps maintain proper humidity through absorbing and releasing moisture.

Good luck.

Steve

The finish is on the inside of the tool box (just a lacquer sealer) then I put unfinished Spanish cedar on top of that

I think this is going to be very hard to humidify based on the flat lid closure and gaps in the wood. It id a cool looking box though. Good luck with it and keep us posted

I plan on adding cedar to the lid to make a good seal. There are a few ways I have thought about doing it but haven't decided on which way I will do it yet. I will add more pictures when I do!

Sweet I'm looking forward to it. Like someone said earlier use heartfelt beads for your humidifier.

I think that's what I will go with. Thanks for the recommendation I had not noticed those before when searching the web. I figure I will use two bags with a half pound each so that way I can spread the humidity more evenly. Am I correct in my thinking?

Link for beads to make your life a little easier
http://www.heartfeltindustries.com/products.asp?cat=65%25+Rh+Humidity+Beads

Sorry dtum11, I didn't know which were the before and which were the after pictures. Good luck with your project.

One more piece of advice, Asel.mike is an awesome reference on this, he turned a steel tool box into a sweet humidor already... You can search for that link :)

Come on cboukal that's a lot of work to do the searching!

yeah I had it in my favorite posts..
http://www.cigarpass.com/forumsipb/topic/71035-toolbox-humidor/page__st__20__hl__+tool%20+box#entry1070942

Asel.mike did a heck of a job on that humidor! Mine won't be as pretty but should do the job.