• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Maduro EL's

Any wisdom on the Maduro EL's? Are these really maduro wrappers, or the same wrapper as the other darker EL's , like say the HdM 03?

Is this a marketing thing to sell smokes at a premium, or is this a new taste for ISOM's?

All EL's use a 2 year old wrapper that does tend to be dark but not always. They are not a true maduro. Definitely a marketing ploy but some of them are pretty damn good cigars.

The original Edicion Limitadas were marketed as maduros. In the spanish speaking sense, they were "maduro" in that they were darker wrapper. But, they were not truely maduro wrappers in the scientific sense. After the first released ELs, the maduro marketing stopped and the ELs were, and still are, marketed as sizes not made in regular production under the brand names represented.

I'm topping this old thread to say thanks! for answering a question I had about these smokes, as I was considering a purchase from a place that has (or so I had heard) a good reputation. You guys saved me a considerable chunk of change!

I had wondered whether these were "genuine" maduros--now I know.

The Search button is my friend. ;)

Thanks,
SteveD.
b8f49505.gif

Some of them are still excellent cigars, IMHO -- 01 Cohiba Piramide ELs, 03 Cohiba DC ELs, 03 HdM Piramide ELs, 00 Monte Robusto ELs...