• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Machine Made vs. Short Filler, Hand Made

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that some Short Filler Hand Made cigars are many times refered to as "machine made."

Specifically, I'm talking about Quinteros, Jose Piedra, some La Flor de Canos, a certain Por Larranga and a Fonseca.

I have one of those "Guide to Habanos Sizes" published by HabanosSAand on the back it says that the following cigars are "Short Filler, made in Cuba, totally by hand" or "Tripa Corta":

Quintero:
Brevas
Nacionales
Londres Extra
Panetelas
Jose L. Piedra:
Cazadores
Conservas
Nacionales
Brevas
Cremas
Petit Cetros
La Flor de Cano:
Selectos
Petit Coronas
Fonseca:
Delicas
Por Larranga:
Panatelas
Rafael Gonzales:
Panetelas Extra

Now the other part of this chart has a group of cigars identified as "Machine made in Cuba" or "Mecanizado" which would include everything else that most people call "machine made" like one of my favorites, the Troya Coronas Club in A/Ts.

Now I do believe that the La Flor de Canos Selectos were MMHF at one time then were produced strictly by machine or maybe I got that backwards. I've actually had both versions of this cigar. The MMHF's were very good while the MM's were not that great.

I like most machine made Havanas but I mostly prefer the Short Filler, Hand Mades over the machine mades. My favorite of these are the Quintero Brevas and the Jose L. Piedra Cazadores.

MRN identifies some of what I believe to be Short Filler, Hand Made as machine made. This conflicts with the chart I have that is published by HabanosSA so I would say that MRN is incorrect.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I don't know the answer to that question...but Jose L. Piedras are good!! :thumbs:

-Fetter

I'm not completely sure, but I think that even though they are hand finished they are still machine bunched.

Making them, in essence, a machine made cigar.

My favorite M/M is the Flor de Cano Predelictos A/T. It used to have an attractive price point, but it is now H/F. I believe and it almost doubled it's selling point because of that.

-Rob

I agree with Rob. From what I have read, the short-filler cigars are rolled (filler and binder) by machine and then the wrapper is done by hand. Not positive, but I think that's how it works.