• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Little specks in the ash

investandprosper

Hey guys,

I was enjoying a Magnum 48 LE after breakfast, and I noticed that there are little specks in the ash, and slightly visible on the wrapper. Is it normal, and what could it be? This is the first I have noticed something like this. Here's a pic:

mag48le2.JPG

A couple of guesses, based on what I could see:

- It could be the beginning of some plume? Some oils migrated and crystallized on the surface...??
- It could be fine, fine sawdust from the wooden box? Don't laugh - I have seen that before.

Or...?? Your guess is as good as mine.

If it smokes, good....who cares...??....:p

Enjoy - B.B.S.

Sorry for the bad picture, I tried my best but my phone wouldn't focus very well. The little specs were ... ingrained for lack of a better word ... into the ash. Small, somewhat round. It tasted phenomenal. I guess I'm just hoping they aren't something horrid like beetle eggs. My guess was the beginnings of plume (I saw some on WKOTI's Mag 48s). It was so good, definitely an Upmann.

If I were you, I would send all the ones you have left to me for a proper inspection. After I am done smoking them, I'll inform you of the results. Noone wants to smoke anything horrid, so let me take the worry out of that for you.
biggrin.gif
thumbs-up.gif

OH NO!! Those are Hawaiian tobacco beetle larvae!

Naw, that's what I've always called "tooth" as Brian said. Not sure what causes it, but many times you'll see someone mention a toothy ash or a toothy wrapper in a review. That is what they're referring to.

Flavor Crystals!

oil pockets

The FOGs will never steer you wrong I&P. I couldn't find my reference on tooth, but they are little pockets of essential oils dotting a tobacco leaf. It's a highly sought-after attribute for a wrapper. Cameroon as well as some Vuelta Abajo wrappers are renowned for their tooth. Great pics-- that cigar looks excellent!

Flavor Crystals!

oil pockets

The FOGs will never steer you wrong I&P. I couldn't find my reference on tooth, but they are little pockets of essential oils dotting a tobacco leaf. It's a highly sought-after attribute for a wrapper. Cameroon as well as some Vuelta Abajo wrappers are renowned for their tooth. Great pics-- that cigar looks excellent!

Are you sure you're not thinking of plume? I found THIS had some pretty info on tooth in a wrapper. Although I don't see a whole lot of tooth in the OP's picture either in the ash or on the unburned wrapper portion. My eyesight isn't the best but I don't see anything in the OP's picture other than a burning cigar, but as Greg mentions raised bumps on the wrapper is commonly tooth with this picture being a good example:

cameroon-grain.jpg

Are you sure you're not thinking of plume? I found THIS had some pretty info on tooth in a wrapper. Although I don't see a whole lot of tooth in the OP's picture either in the ash or on the unburned wrapper portion. My eyesight isn't the best but I don't see anything in the OP's picture other than a burning cigar, but as Greg mentions raised bumps on the wrapper is commonly tooth with this picture being a good example:

cameroon-grain.jpg

No, I was thinking of tooth, at least the way I've always understood it. After reading your link and my inability to find where I read that they are oil pockets, I'm rethinking it. Even better, I found this link embedded in the one you posted:

Stogiefresh Cigar Science

His tobacco grower friend tells him the bumps are magnesium deposits. This makes sense given how incredibly white they are in the ash.

His tobacco grower friend tells him the bumps are magnesium deposits. This makes sense given how incredibly white they are in the ash.

Ah! This right here! No idea why I had Potassium in my mind. :laugh: Magnesium was what I meant. :blush:

Yes, that's what the wrapper and ash looked like. Sorry I couldn't get a decent close-up, it was taken with my phone (I didn't want to stink up the house to go get the camera). Thank you, gentlemen!

Flavor Crystals!

oil pockets

Who in the hell made Gary a FOG? :laugh: