• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Lesser Known Cubans

jnanu

Hey there. My folks are leaving for Cuba tomorrow evening and I'd like to ask my dad to pick me up some cigars. I guess you could say that my friends and I are slowly learning about this whole cigar thing. So far we've just been going to the local cigar shop without much direction and picking something around ten bucks - usually a Montecristo 4. One of the guys in our group is a member of a cigar club at his school, but beyond that I'd say that "amateur" is an overstatement. Anyways, we're starting to learn more and more and I figure with my folks going to Cuba I've got the opportunity to ask you guys about some lesser known brands/cigars that are still good quality and flavour. Cost is also a consideration - hopefully something that's in the 3-6 CUC/cigar range.

Thanks for your input,
Justin

PS - I guess I should note that I'm in Canada.

Hey Justin,

Welcome to CP! You should make an intro post and fill out your profile so we can get to know you. Do some reading in back posts too, there is a wealth of info here.

Usually those who stop by and make their first post in the Cuban forum aren't very well received, but unlike most of those others, you actually seem to be able to compose a coherent sentence :)

Since this seems like a logical and reasonable question given your circumstances and you don't seem to be fishing for info, I'll give my two cents. Definitely check out the Rafael Gonzalez line. The Corona Extra is one of my go to cigars. They are good young, but once they are over a year old they become special and spectacular if you can age them longer than that. The Sancho Panza and Juan Lopez lines also make it into my regular rotation. On a more mellow note the Cuaba Exclusivos are tasty, but watch the quality. I am not sure about pricing, but the RG's and SP's tend to be a bit more reasonably priced.

Check out the Kingantz Review Thread here. It is concise, the review are great, and you might read about something you'd like to try.

And welcome to CP!

Fonseca is definitely on the mild end of strength, but if you're pretty new and price is a consideration, they are really good for the price.

I know nothing........

There's cigars in Cuba? :whistling:

Hey there. My folks are leaving for Cuba tomorrow evening and I'd like to ask my dad to pick me up some cigars. I guess you could say that my friends and I are slowly learning about this whole cigar thing. So far we've just been going to the local cigar shop without much direction and picking something around ten bucks - usually a Montecristo 4. One of the guys in our group is a member of a cigar club at his school, but beyond that I'd say that "amateur" is an overstatement. Anyways, we're starting to learn more and more and I figure with my folks going to Cuba I've got the opportunity to ask you guys about some lesser known brands/cigars that are still good quality and flavour. Cost is also a consideration - hopefully something that's in the 3-6 CUC/cigar range.

Thanks for your input,
Justin

Well within that price range is the Quinteros line. Not a bad smoke for the $$$.

Thanks for your input,
Justin

Well within that price range is the Quinteros line. Not a bad smoke for the $$$.

That is one Marca that has eluded me. I've gotten the impression that they have a lot of flavor.

Thanks a lot folks. I didn't have time to look around or update profile etc. since I had to get this info to my folks before they left. This site certainly looks to have a ton of info. Looks like I found myself some nice bedtime reading for the near future.