• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Just had my first legit ISOM

kro77

Sorry if this is an off topic post, but on my recent trip to canada I had a chance to smoke the monte cristo #4 and R&J #2. Now, I have had supposed cubans here in the states but I have had my doubts, and frankly they where not so great. However these two where just great for the price. My question is more of how do these compare to some of the more famous cubans out there.

Thanks,

K

RyJ & Monte are two of the more "popular" brands. Many like them but I do not. I find both of them generally flat and boring. Almost ANY other Mareva is better than a Monte #4. The RyJ Cedros (you had the #2 which is a corona size) are "okay" but IMO there are MANY other Havana coronas out there that are better than the RyJ Cedros Deluxe No. 2.

For Marevas, I'd recommend you look to try:
Saint Luis Rey Petit Coronas (these are fairly hard to get :( )
Punch PC del Punch
Punch Royal Selection No. 12
Juan Lopez Petit Coronas
Sancho Panza Non Plus
Rafael Gonzales Petit Coronas

Now I'm not a big fan of these but many other people are:
Por Larranga Petit Coronas
Cohiba Siglo II

As far as Coronas, look to try these:
Saint Luis Rey Coronas
Vegas Robaina Familiar
Punch Coronas
Quai d'Orsay Coronas Claro
Juan Lopez Coronas

And here are some more Coronas that I'm not a big fan of but many others are:
Hoyo de Monterrey Hoyo Coronas
Bolivar Coronas
Montecristo #3

(Edit to add RG PC)

i agree with cc. you probably tried 2 of the more blander isoms, at least for someone without an isom "palatte".

Well if those are the blander smokes I look forward to my next trip in August, I will bring your list and see what I can find.

Thanks for the suggestions,

K

WOW, I just realized your location kro77 :thumbs:

I venture up your way every now and then to see an old Boston-based band from the early 1980's that STILL plays every now and then called THE FOOLS I see them in Quincy, Danvers, Salem and Maynard.

I have never heard of them, but it seems they like the shore (north and south). If you ever are in boston, check out Stanzia in the North end. I usually go there to smoke, nice little cigar bar.

K

just dropping by to say hi to a fellow bostonian. i haven't hit stanzi's yet but i've been kicking around the idea. especially since winters generally suck to smoke outdoors in these parts. where do you usually get your smokes?

Hey BDD,

Stanzia is pretty good, however it is not like cigar masters which has a good degree of swank, I would say it has a bit more dank then the other smoking places in boston. But like homer said in the simpsons I liked the dank. But you can rent a box there for 400 bucks a year and they give you a box of smokes every yeah with the fee. Two buddies and I share one box so it is always easy to go and have a smoke after work or what not and we do not need to carry them with us. (I will stop now, since this is a non related tangent)

But I usually get smokes from one of three or four places. In no particular order, a smoke shop in Nonantum (part of Newton) cause it is right next to my office, Watch City Cigar, 2 Guys smoke shop in NH, and various orders from Cbid, CI, and Cigar auctioneer.

From time to time I order some things from the Manager at stanzia who can find some more hard to find smokes, like some Padron '26 40ths

How about you? Do you go to that place in downtown with the italian name? I cannot remember it.

- K

If you're talking about Peretti's, that's the place I goto. I'm a new regular there since they're only 5 minutes away from home and they seem to have the best selection out of all the places I've gone to in metro Boston. The prices aren't too bad considering the taxes tacked on to these things. Especially when it comes to opus x. I just started smoking so I'm working down the chain of popular cigars and I haven't hit Padrons yet. I'm finding it hard to tear away from opus and try something new. How are the Padrons working for you? I was thinking of picking a couple up this weekend.

Will

Thats the name of the place. LOL thanks. That place I agree has a great selection, however i find their prices a bit high compared to alot of other places. The Opus family in general is nice and I enjoy. I don't know about the Padron yet since I just got three and plan on smoking my first one this weekend. The selection of smoke shops in boston is shockingly low don't you think?

- k

LMAO!! Ya probably never heard of them (The Fools) 'cause I'm old enough to be BOTH of you guys father :laugh:

They were big in the 1970s and early 1980s. These guys are all in their mid fifties so they're even older than me :laugh:

Oh hey, that shop both you guys are talking about, do they carry Davidoffs?

coventrycat86 said:
LMAO!! Ya probably never heard of them (The Fools) 'cause I'm old enough to be BOTH of you guys father :laugh:

They were big in the 1970s and early 1980s. These guys are all in their mid fifties so they're even older than me :laugh:

Oh hey, that shop both you guys are talking about, do they carry Davidoffs?
[snapback]208486[/snapback]​

haha...well, yeah, no wonder why i have no idea who they are. and strangely enough, i don't remember them carrying them. but there are other shops around here that do. gloucester st cigar and cigarmasters right in boston has them i think.

and the shop selection does stink. i think that competition would help bring the prices closer to what they optimally could be. but i find that every shop around caters to a certain type of clientele.

I just looked at your profile and yes you could be a young dad for both of us, but 16 is a bit young. LOL! Perettis does not sell Davidoff's unfortunetly, but Watch CIty Cigar in framingham does. If you are making the trek to CT via the mass pike you can stop (exit 14 i think off the pike). They carry almost every brand and their prices are very reasonable. This is their website if you are interested

http://www.watchcitycigar.com/

Also the little news stand next to Stanzia/Cafe Vittoria sells Davidoffs but they hike the heck out of the prices.

Burn I do not know if you have a car or not, but I would recommend you check out watch city or 2 guys, their selection is really good, but then again perettis is pretty good as well.

- K