• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Impress without going broke?

Ugaman72

Hello all, I'm a newbie and have spent the last week just reading all the old posts. The people here really know their stuff!! Here's my question..I go into this hobby because I'm a Financial Advisor who has clients as well as other FA's who are in the hobby. It's become addictive quickly! Anyway, can I get some suggestions on a cigar brand and popular size that I can offer other FA's or clients that will impress them, without going broke. Here's some things I'm looking for....moderately priced (hopefully that I can get in a 5 deal for less than 30-40 bucks, mild to moderate so that all can enjoy regardless of experience, and popular enough that they will recognize the brand and will know that I'm not pawning off a 1 dollar cigar on them. Thanks in advance for any help!!

I would suggest any of the cigars from This Post or the very next post. The exception are the cigars about halfway down the 4th post labeled as "short filler". Those are junk, but all the other cigars there are very good and not terribly expensive. The Fuente brand is very well known, and alot of folks consider the Hemingway and the Don Carlos to be premium cigars so you would accomplish your goal. You should be able to find those cigars at most decent shops or online as well. Just make note of the msrp's listed in that thread, you shouldn't have to pay anything above that unless your state has bad tobacco taxes.

Château Fuente sungrowns. About 3.50 ea.

Doc.

My suggestion would be the Arturo Fuente 858. MSRP on this stick is about $4.00, so depending on your taxes it should cost $4-$6 per stick if you buy them locally. Fuente is a well known, highly publicized maker so I imagine most people have heard of them, and their quality is top notch.

If you're willing to go to the top of the range you've listed, or a little higher (depending on tobacco taxes, etc) Fuente Hemingway Classics are impressive both in quality and appearance. Anyone who knows even a little bit about cigars will know the Fuente name.

Welcome, too. :)

Cant go wrong with.

Fuente
Ashton
Padron

Good advice, you can usually find wallet friendly prices on these three. I want to also throw in CAO, also a well known brand that has some good prices, in my opinion, plus there are a lot in that line i like.

AVO Domaine and AVO XO are great for impressing the crowd as well.

Some of the Oliva cigars are very moderately priced. For a 5er it might run you a tad over 40.

Its no different than offering smoked salmon or caviar. Whatever your spread, be prepared to see your cigars wasted. Fuente, Macanudo, and Gispert are good choices. Believe it or not, attractive, eye catching bands are IN. Leave your OpusX at home, though. A grown man either breaks down or gets homicidal when he sees some schmuck put out your recently lit super premium in a glass of wine.

Use caution with the cedar wrapped Fuentes.

I think Fuente Chateau Maduros are really great smokes for the price. But the last few I've looked at have mold spots hiding under the cedar wrapper.

I wish they would fix this problem so I wouldn't have to deconstruct every cello & cedar wrapped stick I want to smoke.

If I wanted to impress someone, I'd bring them a PAM64. Not cheap, by any stretch of the imagination, but readily available at many B&M's out there. Nicely box pressed shape that folks will remember. A smooth, wonderful tasting cigar; that would be my choice.

One guy's opinion - B.B.S.

Its no different than offering smoked salmon or caviar. Whatever your spread, be prepared to see your cigars wasted. Fuente, Macanudo, and Gispert are good choices. Believe it or not, attractive, eye catching bands are IN. Leave your OpusX at home, though. A grown man either breaks down or gets homicidal when he sees some schmuck put out your recently lit super premium in a glass of wine.

That would be the last cigar that person would ever receive from me.

Personally,

Fuente Hemingway
Pepin Blue
Padron 64

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions. I'm putting them all in a Word document and printing them out for the next time I'm in my local tobacco shop. Thanks again!!

Looking at your original post, you want the following attributes out of your stash:

1) A way to be collegial with the other CFA's, who will of course be constantly mooching from your humidor.
2) A way to be hospitable to your clients who smoke cigars, or others who will try an offered cigar but don't smoke often.

Your price range admits a LOT of sticks. Apply a strategy to purchasing them.

1) Buy a very nice, discreet looking but classy desktop humidor. Something that goes with your office. No colors and no flash; tone-on-tone inlay is fine. You've seen The Godfather, note the very small, expensive desktop humidor on Don Corleone's desk. Poor conditions makes a good cigar smoke badly. Make sure this one is always full, too, and stock it from a file-cabinet humidor or cigar store regularly. Like daily. A full humi is welcoming; a picked-over one is offputting.
2) Stock with a variety of smokes. Your criteria are a) mild to medium flavor and b) superlative appearance. Again, no flash, but you want absolutely flawless wrappers and good-looking bands. Good candidates are Montecristo white, CAO Gold, any Ashtons, Fuente, Torano 1916, Gispert natural and maduro. The Monte and Ashtons are more expensive, CAO and Torano middle of the road, Gispert lower, but all are good in that they aren't ostentatious but are good midday to evening smokes. Remember: the hospitality is MUCH MUCH more important than the stick. (Pepin and Padron, by contrast, are not good choices - too powerful in the first case and too ugly in the second).
3) Do I need to mention that you need a very nice, discreet cutter and lighter too? And buy two, because they have the habit of walking off, and you never want to be caught short.
4) If you have more than a few big clients who smoke cigars regularly, suck it up and buy a box of classic ISOMs. My sugestion is Monte #2. They are instantly recognizable as a top-name cuban and have a smooth, flavorful smoke that won't overpower someone at midday. Even if someone isn't a Monte lover (sacriledge!) they will note and appreciate the extra effort made on their behalf.
5) Sizes - notably consistency of size - are also important. Consider your client base. A petit corona sends the wrong message. A churchill or presidente may also send the wrong message, that of ostentation (after all, your client fees are buying the cigars). Robustos/rothchilds are good and a common vitola.

Remember again: the hospitality is more important than the stick. You deliver discretion, quality service, attention to detail. Your humi delivers discretion, quality service, attention to detail.

Looking at your original post, you want the following attributes out of your stash:

1) A way to be collegial with the other CFA's, who will of course be constantly mooching from your humidor.
2) A way to be hospitable to your clients who smoke cigars, or others who will try an offered cigar but don't smoke often.

Your price range admits a LOT of sticks. Apply a strategy to purchasing them.

1) Buy a very nice, discreet looking but classy desktop humidor. Something that goes with your office. No colors and no flash; tone-on-tone inlay is fine. You've seen The Godfather, note the very small, expensive desktop humidor on Don Corleone's desk. Poor conditions makes a good cigar smoke badly. Make sure this one is always full, too, and stock it from a file-cabinet humidor or cigar store regularly. Like daily. A full humi is welcoming; a picked-over one is offputting.
2) Stock with a variety of smokes. Your criteria are a) mild to medium flavor and b) superlative appearance. Again, no flash, but you want absolutely flawless wrappers and good-looking bands. Good candidates are Montecristo white, CAO Gold, any Ashtons, Fuente, Torano 1916, Gispert natural and maduro. The Monte and Ashtons are more expensive, CAO and Torano middle of the road, Gispert lower, but all are good in that they aren't ostentatious but are good midday to evening smokes. Remember: the hospitality is MUCH MUCH more important than the stick. (Pepin and Padron, by contrast, are not good choices - too powerful in the first case and too ugly in the second).
3) Do I need to mention that you need a very nice, discreet cutter and lighter too? And buy two, because they have the habit of walking off, and you never want to be caught short.
4) If you have more than a few big clients who smoke cigars regularly, suck it up and buy a box of classic ISOMs. My sugestion is Monte #2. They are instantly recognizable as a top-name cuban and have a smooth, flavorful smoke that won't overpower someone at midday. Even if someone isn't a Monte lover (sacriledge!) they will note and appreciate the extra effort made on their behalf.
5) Sizes - notably consistency of size - are also important. Consider your client base. A petit corona sends the wrong message. A churchill or presidente may also send the wrong message, that of ostentation (after all, your client fees are buying the cigars). Robustos/rothchilds are good and a common vitola.

Remember again: the hospitality is more important than the stick. You deliver discretion, quality service, attention to detail. Your humi delivers discretion, quality service, attention to detail.

One of the best posts I've read on this site.

Great info thanks.

Marco Plo gave some great advice given the price range, the experience will be as important in impressing as the smoke.
The padron 000's, Oliva V lanceros and LFD Coronados
Though bthe advice to spend on The Padron 1964s, given your goal is sound counsel. I find the pricipe or exclusivo nats the most "universally likeable"

Marco-Polo, great advice... but none of us were suggesting Padron 0000 series ;)

The 1964 and 1926 are neither ugly or harsh. They might be at the top of his budget but they do fit the type of cigar he is looking for.

May I add to the list a bit...

Going with "good-looking" and "not too strong" along with "taste good"

Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur

Leon Jimenes by La Aurora

Cuesta-Rey (any of them)