• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

I fell down a vintage lighter rabbit hole...

wrussell46

Humble Arrogance
I don't know how it happened, but son of a gun if I wasn't tempted over the weekend to buy every "good deal" Dunhill Rollagas soft flame lighter on eBay I could find.

I did throw a couple bids at one from Japan, and ended up winning for a decent price. It arrives today whenever FedEx drops by.

But boys did I fall DEEP into this one. YouTube, auctions, old articles; I was up late for a couple nights. The vintage Dunhill stuff is very cool, especially the Rollagas. We shall see what it's like when it arrives. I ordered a rebuild kit as well from a reputable source on eBay. It'll give me something to do this weekend.

Vintage lighters are very cool and there is some really interesting and ornate Dunhill stuff out there. Newer stuff seems less consistent, particularly when you get into jets instead or soft flame, so I think if you want legit dunhill swag then looking vintage is the way to go.

That said, I have a pretty flawless soft flame Ligne 2 that is 100% fake. It has been used extensively, while my maxijet sits in a box, around people “who know” and 100% believed it was legit. It holds without leaking for years. It was like $25. If you want a new dunhill you should probably do that.

I would be wary of using any compound that's too gritty on that finish. Maybe Flitz, but be really careful. Maybe start lightly at the bottom and check frequently to see how it's going. Connoisseurs Jewelry polishing cloths would be my first choice.

Service kit and flint arrive today!

I almost got suckered into another one last night ad an ebay auction closed…So damn tempting! I gotta get this one burning first and see if I enjoy it before cashing in on another one 🤦🏻🙄

I have been following a guy on IG in the Netherlands who sells rare and vintage lighters - check out @the_lighterhouse

He just about has me, but the $$ I spent on fountain pens at the SF Pen Show has me on hold at the moment...