• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Humidification question

Gator

Have a 85qt coolidor, packed pretty full, using quite a # of 65% Bovrda packs, and a Xikar micro fan, that comes on every 15min for 5 sec, maybe 3 sec? Anyway, is this adequate? About to buy a 120qt cooler & ditch the current, if it’s ok for the 85, assume ok for 120? Oh, when Boveda packs are starting to get a tiny bit crunchy, time to chunk? Thanks!

Frank, If you are out of room in the 85, you know my address. I guarantee that I will store everything at perfect RH until used.

Additionally, I have restored crunchy Boveda packs by putting them in a tuperware with a dish of distilled water for a few days/week depending on how crunchy. They are just a solution of water and sodium, when the water evaporates you have crunchy sodium. Keep them in a high RH environment and they come back to new.

The little Govee hygrometers work great for me, no worries about RH and you don't have to open the cooler to read them. I salt test them first, super easy to calibrate them. For $15 I don't see how you beat them....

Govee Bluetooth Hygrometer Thermometer, Wireless Thermometer, Mini Humidity Sensor with Notification Alert, Data Storage and Export, 262 Feet Connecting Range https://a.co/d/3XK1WSt

The little Govee hygrometers work great for me, no worries about RH and you don't have to open the cooler to read them. I salt test them first, super easy to calibrate them. For $15 I don't see how you beat them....

Govee Bluetooth Hygrometer Thermometer, Wireless Thermometer, Mini Humidity Sensor with Notification Alert, Data Storage and Export, 262 Feet Connecting Range https://a.co/d/3XK1WSt

Thanks for the reminder to buy another one for my new humidor 💪🏼

The Govee Hygrometers are the best that I have found to date. Very consistent and can push data/notifications to your phone if you want to set it up.
- -
As @CigarStone said, you can rehydrate your Boveda and they will last for quite a while.
They also keep pushing humidity for quite a while once they start crusting up.

Frank, If you are out of room in the 85, you know my address. I guarantee that I will store everything at perfect RH until used.

Additionally, I have restored crunchy Boveda packs by putting them in a tuperware with a dish of distilled water for a few days/week depending on how crunchy. They are just a solution of water and sodium, when the water evaporates you have crunchy sodium. Keep them in a high RH environment and they come back to new.
I use the Boveda packs in my overflow tuperadors and re-hydrate them like CigarStone mentions. I wrap them in a wet paper towel and place them in ziploc bag for a few days. For my coolers, I'm still using the Heartfelt beads; too many Bovead packs to worry about in a cooler for my liking.

I’m just going to ship all my cigars to @CigarStone for safe keeping, I trust he won’t smoke every single cigar, too quickly anyway

I give you my word I will not smoke them all. Surely there's a dog rocket in there somewhere that I won't care to smoke. :cool:
Did you get them, usps shows it was delivered. My wife’s idiot dog sent you his finest, all were 3 circle +…

Temp is staying right at 70, and 64% humidity, perfect. Will be going to the land of the beautiful (WalMart) today for a 120qt cooler, we just don’t have the room for a real humidor. Let me rephrase that, my wife says we don’t have room. 💩

Did you get them, usps shows it was delivered. My wife’s idiot dog sent you his finest, all were 3 circle +…

Temp is staying right at 70, and 64% humidity, perfect. Will be going to the land of the beautiful (WalMart) today for a 120qt cooler, we just don’t have the room for a real humidor. Let me rephrase that, my wife says we don’t have room. 💩

I typically got the clear totes because I can see the hygrometer without opening..... And then I got one of those little GoVee Bluetooth hygrometers like @BlindedByScience says. Handy little item to have.

I just buy whatever I want, and then when she asks where we are going to put it, I just say, “I’ll figure it out.”

I typically got the clear totes because I can see the hygrometer without opening..... And then I got one of those little GoVee Bluetooth hygrometers like @BlindedByScience says. Handy little item to have.
Unfortunately I went through a few govees before I gave up on them. Not that they were expensive, but I got tired of replacing them. I know have a ThermoPro which has been working pretty good so far. I feel like it’s more “simple” than the Govee but generally works the same and has the same information.

Unfortunately I went through a few govees before I gave up on them. Not that they were expensive, but I got tired of replacing them. I know have a ThermoPro which has been working pretty good so far. I feel like it’s more “simple” than the Govee but generally works the same and has the same information.
What was the average life span of the govee’s and how long have you had your current device?

The Govee units I bought 3 years ago have all been outstanding.
Because of this thread, I purchased a couple more for my new Humidor and my opinion had sadly changed. Neither unit read humidity correctly. They were both 10% low. Amazon returns thank you.

I was looking at the ThermoPro. It had good reviews, might try that next!

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered a pair.

I seem to have had better luck with the Sensor Push than the Govee units. Of course I only bought one, couldn't get it to hold calibration, and went back to SP.

I seem to have had better luck with the Sensor Push than the Govee units. Of course I only bought one, couldn't get it to hold calibration, and went back to SP.
Sensor Push are spendy but damn good. Mine has served me well for almost 20 years.