• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo Palmas Extras

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
Just a quick question...I just received a few boxes of HdM Palmas Extras (MAS JUL 07) and they are definitely a darker wrapper compared to an '06 box....plus, when smoked, taste a little different. I used to be able to smoke them young and enjoy them but these taste different. I never knew of a CC manufacturer to change a blend before and this doesn't seem to be a change in taste due to a variation in crop...they taste OK but different and not to my liking at this point.

We all can pick up little common aspects in regard to taste when we buy a new box of our favorite cigars...meaning, underneath what we perceive as young, we taste a common taste profile and I don't find this to be the case with this cigar...weird. I have been used to a relatively consistent cigar from that ISOM, '99 to '01 not withstanding.

They came from one of my most trusted sources and check out for authenticity...which leads me to ask this question...

Have any of you come across a situation similar to this with a CC?

Thanks

PS....I smoked my last '06 but I am going to get one from my friend...I will then post a picture of the difference between the two.

Just a quick question...I just received a few boxes of HdM Palmas Extras (MAS JUL 07) and they are definitely a darker wrapper compared to an '06 box....plus, when smoked, taste a little different. I used to be able to smoke them young and enjoy them but these taste different. I never knew of a CC manufacturer to change a blend before and this doesn't seem to be a change in taste due to a variation in crop...they taste OK but different and not to my liking at this point.

We all can pick up little common aspects in regard to taste when we buy a new box of our favorite cigars...meaning, underneath what we perceive as young, we taste a common taste profile and I don't find this to be the case with this cigar...weird. I have been used to a relatively consistent cigar from that ISOM, '99 to '01 not withstanding.

They came from one of my most trusted sources and check out for authenticity...which leads me to ask this question...

Thanks

PS....I smoked my last '06 but I am going to get one from my friend...I will then post a picture of the difference between the two.

as a retailer i see this dilemna often, particularly in the more economical selections such as the party mille fleur, or the sp non-plus, just to name 2. sometimes the blends show slight improvement, other times they just dont match up exactly to the prior batch for taste. i think you hit the nail on the head, crop variations will have the effect on the tobacco available.
the hdm palmas extra is a fine cigar, but not my favorite hdm. try some larger vitolas in the line and see if you cnt find the special hdm flavor profile that you really enjoy.

cheers
drew p

Thanks

Wrapper color varies from box to box, so that's not surprising to me.

Blends have changed in the past, and will again in the future, I'm sure.

However, my guess is that the difference you're tasting may be a function of age. Many cigars go through a flat period at some point in the first few years they're rolled. I've had boxes whose authenticity I would have questioned had they not come from trusted vendors come around to being very good examples of their marque/vitola after a couple/few years of aging.

I'm not sure when you bought them, but it seems that recently shipped cigars can taste a bit off as well.

Thanks

as a retailer i see this dilemna often, particularly in the more economical selections such as the party mille fleur, or the sp non-plus, just to name 2. sometimes the blends show slight improvement, other times they just dont match up exactly to the prior batch for taste. i think you hit the nail on the head, crop variations will have the effect on the tobacco available.
the hdm palmas extra is a fine cigar, but not my favorite hdm. try some larger vitolas in the line and see if you cnt find the special hdm flavor profile that you really enjoy.

cheers
drew p
Drew,

Thanks for the response. I guess it's the same old CC story we've seen time and again :laugh:...but this one was way different. This cigar was so off base from what it was before that I had to ask someone here....and I guess there isn't much banter about this issue, regardless of what the cigar is. In all my years of smoking CC I never came across, in what appears to me, a blend change of this length. I never subscribed to the theory that a wrapper changes the taste of a cigar that much so it has to be all the other components.

The wrapper color was inconsequential...but the taste was very strange. It lit and initially smoked close to their predecessors but at about 1/4 way in, it just turned quite nasty. Usually I can smoke these young...but not this batch (MAS JUL 07). I spoke with another BOTL that got them from a different vendor, marked the same date, and he said the same thing. For me it's more about the size and taste...a quick, economical smoke for limited time, a niche vitola that hit my fancy one day and I've stuck with them from time to time.

I never really had to age these before and if I have to now....goodbye Hoyo Palmas Extras!

I just switched over to the Por Larranaga Petite Corona to fill this size and taste need.

Now I'm stuck with another box of CC waiting to get smokeable!...and waiting...and waiting....:angry:.... :(....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: