• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo Du Maire

Rod

Administrator
Staff member
I discovered this Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo Du Maire at the bottom of my humidor, and it must be at least 15 years old. I figured it was time to give it a try. While I usually avoid smaller cigars with such a tiny ring gauge, I do enjoy Hoyo de Monterrey, so I decided to go for it.

Review:

Another nice day with temperatures in the high 60s and sunny skies, I lit up the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo Du Maire and was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it was. I often find that smaller cigars tend to burn hot and lack a distinct flavor profile, but this one exceeded my expectations.

Construction and Burn: The construction was excellent, with a perfect draw. Smaller ring gauge cigars can be hit or miss, but whoever rolled this beauty did a fantastic job.

Flavor Profile: The pre-light aroma was floral and earthy. After lighting, the initial flavors were somewhat elusive, but a few minutes in, the cigar opened up beautifully. I began to notice toasty woodiness, mild earthy tones paired with rich, semi-sweet smoke. It produced a generous amount of smoke without any harshness, remaining very smooth throughout.

Mid-Smoke: As the cigar progressed, the flavors blossomed. The toasty/earthy/woody profile transitioned into a delightful medley, including mild coffee (reminiscent of a breakfast blend), hints of fruitiness, and toasted caramel. Halfway through, I detected flavors that reminded me of Thai black tea with caramelized sugar, creating a harmonious blend of earthy and fruity sweetness. I was truly impressed.

Ending Notes: This excellently constructed cigar delivered tasty flavors from start to finish. Towards the end, I noted more woodiness with a touch of white pepper, adding a nice and surprising finishing touch. It maintained a perfect, even burn throughout.

Overall Thoughts: While I typically prefer larger cigars, I must admit this one was a real pleasure. In just about 30 minutes, the Le Hoyo Du Maire showcased a fantastic flavor profile and a flawless burn. I would describe it as a full-size corona condensed into a petite format, delivering an equally enjoyable experience.

IMG_0338.JPG

IMG_0341.JPG

IMG_0343.JPG

IMG_0344.JPG

I have found that some of the older Cubans need a little smoking time for the flavors to open up just like you experienced. Thanks for the review!