• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

How is a cigar infused?

Brickhouse

J.C. Newman owes me royalties.
Hey all,

At our nightly herf yesterday a BOTL smoked the Gurkha Platinum Louis XIII Cognac Infused torpedo and he rather enjoyed it. The cognac had a very strong odor that lasted throughout the cigar.

Anyway, it brought up the question...how is a cigar infused? What is the process? How do they do it?

Figured I'd ask one of you guys for the nitty gritty on it, since my search attempts failed.

Thanks for any information you may have.

First you dress completely in black on a summer equinox during the new moon... then make sure the 4 virgins are ready...

lol j/k

The first technique is the dipping of the cigar in alcohol. Numerous cigar stores, including Knuckleheads, sell cognac and rum-dipped sticks that ought to offer some appeal to the UW’s notoriously inebriated populace.

The second technique, which has grown in popularity over the past several years, is the “infusing” of cigars with flavor. Drew Estate, a maker of affordably priced cigars (including many well under the cost of a pack of smokes), has recently introduced Kahlua-infused cigars, and various other companies, like Mayorga, produce coffee-infused sticks. The actual process of creating these scrumptious smokes varies somewhat, but normally the cigars are placed in an environment rich with the liquid they are desired to absorb and the tobacco’s porous nature does the rest of the work.

Out of this article here...

http://badgerherald.com/artsetc/2004/03/09...smoking_gun.php

I read an article on Drew Estates and how the ACID cigars are infused. It appears that the process is similar to smoking meat, if you will. Once the cigar is completely rolled and aged, the cigar is moved to it's specific infusing area (depending on the flavor), and the cigars are subjected to a specific blend of spices and flavors for specific periods of time. This process makes the unique ACID flavor that doesn't overpower the tobacco, but causes a nice aromatic smell. I personally like the Kuba Kuba.
This is DEs process for ACIDs...I'm not sure if the process for bourbon or tequilla infusing is the same.

Sometimes for the bourbon and other alcohol flavorings they age the tobacco in barrels that once held bourbon or other alcohol.

Grab a syringe....fill it with whatever you want the gar to have...jam the needle in the foot..as you back it out, press the plunger slowly trying to gauge how much you put in as you back out to impart an even flow throughout...repeat if you want a stronger flavor....toss gar into microwave for a few minutes to dry out...rehumidify as usual.....enjoy!!
I have no idea if this would work or not, but when I got a cigarette wet back when I smoked those, I would toss it in the nuker and it dried right up...if you timed it just right (no idea what that time would be) it would even smoke like a well humidified cigarette and not a dried out one.

I think I'm gonna try this out with a yard gar just to see how it comes out....(mad scientist laugh) :p

I have a buddy of mine that is partial to bourbon infused cigars. He has a desktop specifically for them. He does this by seasoning the humi with a bowl full of bourbon. He then takes the cigars he want to infuse and lets them rest in that humi for a month or so. Like I said he uses a bowl full of bourbon instead of a humidification device. Works out pretty well for him.

I would imagine that the process would be similar for His Majesty’s Reserve. I’ve read somewhere (or imagined it, who can tell these days), that over a period of months, Louis XIII is hand painted onto the cigar, allowed to soak into the tobacco for a time, then the cigars are frozen. Once the cigars are frozen they are slowly thawed and the process is repeated until an entire bottle has been infused. My guess is the only difference in the infusion process between His Majesty’s Reserve and the Grand Reserve would be the amount of Louis XIII that is infused.

edited to clarify- the process infuses an entire bottle for each box, not each cigar

Actually, I believe they just get the rollers really drunk on whatever liquor they're using to "infuse" the cigar and then have them pee on the cigar after they finish rolling it.