• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Holguin, Cuba

Newfie

Official Lancero Whore
Our previous visits to Cuba have been in the Santiago de Cuba area, this time (~November 11th) we want to try Holguin.

We are considering the Blau Costa Verde. Has anyone ever stayed there, and if so, what did you think regarding location and cigar shopping options? I also hear a rumour there's a couple of cigar factories in the area.

If you've been to Holguin or Guardalavaca but haven't stayed at this place, please let me know where you stayed and how you liked it.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jim

Stayed at Brisas Guad., nice hotel, beach, grounds. Food isnt the greatest but this is true with all Cuban resorts. The staff were great and very helpful.
Not much to do in Holguin and surrounding areas, the factories arent worht it, they are very small and hard to get to. As for cigars, you have 2 great options.

1) Atlantico Cigar Store...small store in front of the main entrance of this hotel. Has a nice little bar and lounge area. The humidor is kept nicely and you are allowed to walk in and inspect stock, and check box codes. Wont find much aged stock, mostly picked over by me and a friend of mine ! :D

2) Brisas Guad. Store....located just inside the hotel and to the left. Nice selection of boxes, single are subject to open air storage, be careful. Found it to be a nice selection of boxes and found a coupel 01' boxes there. And a couple were still there when I left. :whistling:

A couple others store in the area, but stock is subject to harsh AC.
Stick with these.

Emil

I really enjoyed Varadero, beach and water were one of the best I've ever seen, cigar selection was top notch at the two LCDHs I visited and my resort even had a great store, although prices were slightly inflated.

Some advice, bring a couple of maduro sticks for the store managers as gift. Maduros are rare in Cuba and these guys will treat you like gold when gifted a few of these. The shop at my hotel didn't allow anyone into the walk-in, until I made friends with the manager. I find the store managers can either be super pricks or super nice, depending whether they like you or not.

Thanks Emil.

So the prices are decent at those shops? I really figured you'd get aZZ-raped anywhere with-in 1/2 hour walk of a resort.

Jabba, that will work nicely for me because I have a taste for maduros and I have a nice selection.

Thanks Emil.

So the prices are decent at those shops? I really figured you'd get aZZ-raped anywhere with-in 1/2 hour walk of a resort.

Jabba, that will work nicely for me because I have a taste for maduros and I have a nice selection.

Not sure in Holguin but in Varadero they azz-raped you on singles, I think the employees make their own prices and pocket the difference. Box prices were pretty much the same. What I noticed is if you found an older box it was typically still priced at the old price. In Cuba, there isn't suppose to be a discount for box prices as per the goverment... a standard box is just 25x the single price(in theory).

Thanks Emil.

Not sure in Holguin but in Varadero they azz-raped you on singles, I think the employees make their own prices and pocket the difference. Box prices were pretty much the same. What I noticed is if you found an older box it was typically still priced at the old price. In Cuba, there isn't suppose to be a discount for box prices as per the goverment... a standard box is just 25x the single price(in theory).

This is correct. Stay away from singles, the employee do pocket the difference. Prices on boxes spot on with the list I sent you, print off a copy and take it with you, if somethings way off, walk out.
Jabba your right on the older boxes, no price increases on these. Got a box of 01 for the same price a box of 06's would sell for.

Thanks Emil.

This is correct. Stay away from singles, the employee do pocket the difference. Prices on boxes spot on with the list I sent you, print off a copy and take it with you, if somethings way off, walk out.
Jabba your right on the older boxes, no price increases on these. Got a box of 01 for the same price a box of 06's would sell for.

I ment same price as they were in 01... I bought 2 boxes at 04 prices in 06.

Thanks Emil.

I ment same price as they were in 01... I bought 2 boxes at 04 prices in 06.

Oh, then that was not my experience. But let me double check.

snip...Stay away from singles, the employee do pocket the difference.....snip

Well, that's unfortunate. I was kinda hoping to buy a bunch of singles the first couple of days there to try a few smokes I haven't had before, and then make the bulk purchase on the last day!

snip....Prices on boxes spot on with the list I sent you, print off a copy and take it with you, if somethings way off, walk out.....snip

Cool!! I thought that was basically a guideline price list and everything went up from there. I know I paid more than that for the smokes I bought in Santiago.

You can still buy singles, just expect to pay a peso or two more.
The list is very accurate, it shoudln't be off that much.
A peso here or there, at the most.

You can still buy singles, just expect to pay a peso or two more.
The list is very accurate, it shoudln't be off that much.
A peso here or there, at the most.

Well, a Peso or 2 more is cheap insurance against buying a box of something I don't like I guess.

Looking forward to it.

Hey Newfie

If you are staying at the Blau we will be staying next door at the Playa Costa Verde Nov. 12 through Nov. 19. I think this will be our 8th time to Cuba, but only our second time in Holguin. Sorry, can't tell you much about the Blau as we stayed at the Paradisus rio de oro last time.

If you'd like to meet up for a smoke maybe we could arrange something.

p.s. Sorry for making this my first post here. I've lurked for quite a while on this fine site, but haven't felt the need to post until now. Come to think of it, I don't post much on any of the cigar forums that I frequent, and post most regularly over at HB, the Canadian cigar forum.

Cheers! :cool:

Hey Newfie

If you are staying at the Blau we will be staying next door at the Playa Costa Verde Nov. 12 through Nov. 19. I think this will be our 8th time to Cuba, but only our second time in Holguin. Sorry, can't tell you much about the Blau as we stayed at the Paradisus rio de oro last time.

p.s. Sorry for making this my first post here. I've lurked for quite a while on this fine site, but haven't felt the need to post until now. Come to think of it, I don't post much on any of the cigar forums that I frequent, and post most regularly over at HB, the Canadian cigar forum.

shhhhhhh, HB is an underground community ;) ;) :)

Hey Newfie

shhhhhhh, HB is an underground community ;) ;) :)

oooops! :whistling: