• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Heading for Jamaica

duglynukem

Nuclear Advocate
I'm heading to Jamaica for my first time in January. I will be flying in to Montego Bay. Any recommendations as to what cigars I should try when I'm down there? Any recommendations for reputable stores, dealers, etc.? My regular cigar is a Don Carlos #3, but I smoke a pretty good variety. I really enjoy a full bodied cigar.

Obviously, I would like to try isom's. Any thoughts?

99% of the Havanas in Jamaica are not Havanas. Jamaica is one of the leading counterfeiters of Havana cigars. It's not impossible to find a few "real" ones in Jamaica, but for the most part, if you don't know what you are buying, don't buy it. There is a kiosk in the departing side of the airport that seems to have genuine Havanas, problem is, the price is high and it's on the way home. You would be better off to check out some of the advertisers here or some of the other online Havana dealers and buy ahead of time so you can bring your own.

If your regular cigar is a Don Carlos, you may find enjoyment in some of the Jamaican brands. Depending on where you're staying, you should be able to find some at the local shopping areas. I usually get a few fresh rolled Jamaican cigars in Ocho Rios on one of our shopping days, as a change of pace from the Havanas I bring with me.

LIke Matt said, Jamaica is going to be a tough spot. If you were going to Negril there is a reputable place. I believe the name is Cigar World. I knew of a good source in Ocho Rios a few years ago, but they sold the business last yar. You can get them at the airport but it is on the outgoing side. A lot of shops can get deliveries from the airport kiosk, but it is VERY pricey. Evne more than at the kiosk. I'd say pick up some local cigars. Montego ba is just way to touristy to find any real gems. Almost forgot. On the main strip in MoBay there is a cuban restaurant. 2nd floor. I know people who have inquired there. They don't sell them, but the owner might be able to help you out from personal stock.

I agree; I was in Jamaica this past summer and didn't see any that I knew were real. I was at Sandals Ocho Rios and the shop there had some that were either real or very good fakes; but they were expensive.

I just took my own to smoke; easier and cheaper!

Patrick

LC-Smoker said:
I agree; I was in Jamaica this past summer and didn't see any that I knew were real. I was at Sandals Ocho Rios and the shop there had some that were either real or very good fakes; but they were expensive.

I just took my own to smoke; easier and cheaper!

Patrick
[snapback]263354[/snapback]​

I was at the same Sandals back in March, and I had noticed the cigars they sell in the gift shops. My question is this: Would a resort with the reputation to uphold like a Sandals knowingly sell fakes? Do you think they have anyone that works there, in purchasing or wherever, that would know as much about cigars to be sure they were selling genuine product? Or does it only seem like a big deal to us because cigars are an important part of our lives? I would like to think that Sandals would want to ensure that they are not selling fake merchandise, but maybe they don't really care and it just seems like a really big deal to me.

There is a shop in Ocho Rios at one of the strip mall duty free shopping centers that seemed to have a good selection, however the prices are very high (3X msrp) and I'm not 100% convinced they are genuine. But at the same time, they had alot of not-so-popular brand cigars, like Fonseca, Cuaba, Guantanamara, which I can't imagine someone going through the trouble to fake.

Simply put, buyer beware.

There are places to find genuine smokes, but your gonna pay out your butt for them.

In between montego bay and fallmouth, is a place called Half Moon. The ocean side is a hotel / shopping village. The hill side is a community for the very very rich (lots of famous people there). Ask your taxi driver to take you to the half moon shopping village, there's a cigar shop right by the entrance. Just be prepared, CoRo's will run you about $30. And a Flor de Cano, $7 cigar will run you $18.

At least take a tour through the comminity, some amazing places on the hill.

Thanks for the feedback. I figured there would be members that would have some good first hand information. I'll take a good supply from here and if I find something, it a bonus. Once again CP comes through for a noobie. :)

Yeah, I got burned. But, I didn't let it bother me. I was a noob to cigars when i was there, and I figured $18 was worth the price to be able to buy a memorable cigar for a very memorable vacation.

If you have the time, Im not sure where you are staying. And I don't know it's exact location. We were at the starfish trelawny in fallmouth. Between that and the airport, there's this roadside stop that every taxi will stop at (they get some sort of commission for the sales they bring in. The place also serves as a really busy night club for the locals.

Anyway, try and get there during the day. When we went, there was no one there. We got a table that was litterally right on the edge of the ocean. Relaxed, and had steamed red snapper. The setting was absolutely perfect.

A must stop place if the time permits.

We were at Grand Lido Negril this year. Twice a week a fellow who owns a cigar co. in Jamaica is there at dinnertime selling his stock. Adduci Cigars is the name. Out of Negril. I traded him some of what I had like greycliffs for some of his. They were pretty decent smokes. I believed he was getting $10 a stick at the resort, but I just looked up the internet site & see that they are $100-200 a box

Jamaica is full of fakes. I was just there and could not believe my eyes. Grand Cayman and Cozumel both have a very good place for cigars in case you go there as well.

Anywhere you go where there are more tourists than locals you will be paying either a ridiculous amount or buying rolled toliet paper.

This past summer, I went to a small town in Costa Rica. My father--who chain smokes cigars--cleaned out the local supermarcado buying their 5 boxes (of 5) of Cohiba's Especiale Coronas for $14 each.

Just took one out last night that had been aging for a few months--incredible smokes. And "official" as well.

During the trip, we went to a tourist town and saw a guy selling the same boxes on a street corner. Asked how much he was selling them for, said $20 (still a good price). Told him I knew the supermarket-45 minutes away-sold them for $11, any chance he would lower his price. Got to talking, and turns out that is where he buys them and marks them up nearly double for tourists.

Post-smoke buzz, I ran the math and realized this stix were $3/smoke.

Anywhere in the Caribbean if you look for the "deal" you are going to get crap put in a box and stamped Havana. If you go to the "reputible shop" you are going to pay a ridiculous premimium because they know us Americanos are only down here to smoke/smuggle Cubans back.

All that to say, stay off of Seven Mile in GC. And even when you get over to North Shore--though you think you are away from the tourist area, that is just as highly traveled area.
Hadn't been there in 4-5 years and understand that the hurrican did some major damage so specifics I cannot recall.

Let me get this strait. Your father bought 5 boxes of Cohibas at a supermarket in a small town in Costa Rica, and you're convinced they are real?

I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona for sale...

Gonz said:
Let me get this strait. Your father bought 5 boxes of Cohibas at a supermarket in a small town in Costa Rica, and you're convinced they are real?

Meant packs not boxes...but yes.

Best I can tell the signs suggest real:

First these are Especiales not the Esplendidos that the beaches of the Caribbean are litered with.
Second this is a pack of 5, not a box with a glass roof.
Third the bands are the new bands (gold, embossed) dots check out.
8th) accurate size 6 by 38 gauge
D) the cap has the pig-tail end.

So, evidence points me that way,
if not-they light and they are enjoyable.

Now about that ocean front property...

Well, either way you've got the right attitude in that even if they are fake, you're still enjoying them.

Most respected vendors sell those five packs for around $90-$100. Singles of that cigar can run anywhere from $15-$22. So it seems like he got a screamin deal, which is usually the first sign you're heading down the wrong road.