• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

H. Upmann Advice

theorangeman

I've been meaning to pick up a box of Mag 46's for a while now, but for whatever reason they just keep getting pushed back on my list to buy. After reading the thread below about how good these sticks are, I figure perhaps now is the time. However, I froze on the trigger this morning because I got to thinking that for only a little bit more, I could get a box of H. Upmann No. 2's (a longer lasting smoke for not much more moola). Being that these are two Habanos that I have yet to try, any recommendations? Please don't recommend me buying both, I can afford only one for now and I want the whole box rather than doing a split so I can put these babies to sleep for a couple of years and enjoy them all later! :)

H Upmann is my favorite line of Cigars.

I would start off with the Mag 46. Always a great cigar and reasonably priced.Great prices to be had for this cigar right now.

I have yet to be disappointed by this cigar. And they also smoke very well young.

As with the #2 I have found that it needs a little more time to sit to truly appreciate this cigar.

I would start off with the Mag 46. Always a great cigar and reasonably priced.Great prices to be had for this cigar right now.

I have yet to be disappointed by this cigar. And they also smoke very well young.

As with the #2 I have found that it needs a little more time to sit to truly appreciate this cigar.

All of the few Mag 46s that I have smoked have been good. If I am going to smoke a corona gorda in the H Upmann line, I far prefer the Super Corona (a little tough to find, though).

I actually like the No. 2 more than the 46, but Alex is right...they need more time. The ones that I have enjoyed the most have had 5 years + on them.

The Conn. No. 1 is also a very nice smoke, but once again...I think it needs time to truly show what a nice smoke it is.

Other than the Super Corona, the PC is probably my favorite H Upmann right now. They are rich and flavorful with a nice bit of body to them.

The H Upmann Lonsdale is worth mentioning, but they are hard to find and what is available on the market right now is mostly not worth buying (lots of draw problems).

That pretty much exhausts my experience with H Upmanns. Hope it helps.

All of the few Mag 46s that I have smoked have been good. If I am going to smoke a corona gorda in the H Upmann line, I far prefer the Super Corona (a little tough to find, though).

I actually like the No. 2 more than the 46, but Alex is right...they need more time. The ones that I have enjoyed the most have had 5 years + on them.

The Conn. No. 1 is also a very nice smoke, but once again...I think it needs time to truly show what a nice smoke it is.

Other than the Super Corona, the PC is probably my favorite H Upmann right now. They are rich and flavorful with a nice bit of body to them.

The H Upmann Lonsdale is worth mentioning, but they are hard to find and what is available on the market right now is mostly not worth buying (lots of draw problems).

That pretty much exhausts my experience with H Upmanns. Hope it helps.

You Dawg! :) Good summary! Adding only the difference between the cost of the 46 and #2 should be $1.25 or so per stick, and not to forget the Sir Winston's although they are about double the price of the 46's and since you said you didn't want to buy both varieties then mentioning those is out of order, but they are one of the premier churchills.

Adding only the difference between the cost of the 46 and #2 should be $1.25 or so per stick

That's precisely why I'm wondering which to buy because for only about a buck more I can get the No. 2 which is a longer smoke and I keep hearing great things about this stick (just as I do with the Mag 46). In addition, the aging isn't really much of an issue because I'm going to put away both of these boxes for a couple of years anyway. I'm starting to lean towards the Mag 46 for now (before prices go up more on these) and then my next box the No. 2.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info guys. ;)

Adding only the difference between the cost of the 46 and #2 should be $1.25 or so per stick

That's precisely why I'm wondering which to buy because for only about a buck more I can get the No. 2 which is a longer smoke and I keep hearing great things about this stick (just as I do with the Mag 46). In addition, the aging isn't really much of an issue because I'm going to put away both of these boxes for a couple of years anyway. I'm starting to lean towards the Mag 46 for now (before prices go up more on these) and then my next box the No. 2.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info guys. ;)

This is only my personal preference and my very humble opionion, but I like the Mag 46's and for that size I think it is one of the top performers. I think that for a Pyramid, there may be better options, although the Uppman's are very good. Therefore, given the time (5 years as mentioned by Dawg) I personally would do the 46's first....after 2 years of box age, they should be ready to go (based on the one's I have).

You Dawg! :) Good summary! Adding only the difference between the cost of the 46 and #2 should be $1.25 or so per stick, and not to forget the Sir Winston's although they are about double the price of the 46's and since you said you didn't want to buy both varieties then mentioning those is out of order, but they are one of the premier churchills.

You are right, I did forget the Sir Winston. I don't smoke many churchills, so this one just didn't come to mind. The last one that I had was fantastic, but that was a while back. I'm not really qualified to talk about this cigar much.

While on the Upmann channel, we should also mention the Monarch...also a churchill. Now, others should chime in on this one, because I've had very few of them. The ones that I have smoked did absolutely nothing for me. :( However, I have spoken with people who like them as well as the Sir Winston and they are only about 2/3 of the price.

Also worth mentioning is the hand-made Coronas Major. I've had a couple and both were flavorful, though not near as good as the PC.

I also have a No. 4 from '01 that I am considering smoking tonight. I will be smoking it back to back with a PC from '01 to note the differences. The No. 4s are discontinued and darned hard to find.

I'm sure we have missed a number of vitolas, but I think this covers most of the common production ones on the market today. Of course, I'm probably wrong, though. :p

Well, I've got my Mag 46's ordered and on their way! Now I just have to start saving my pennies for the No. 2's! Thanks for all the advice guys. ;)

Good Choice! Better yet they are on special now. Just save your pennies and pick up the No 2 when they go on special. :D :D

I actually smoked an H Upman #2 last night. it was from Jan 03' and it was awesome. right up there with the best I've ever had.

Now I just need to get more

Smoked a real young Mag 46 last night. It was an August '05. Tasted nice, smoked decently. Would surely become more refined and tasty with age, but I was not diassapointed. The last inch and a half or so got hot and went south, so into the ashtray it went.

I also have a box of the Mag 46's on the way (along with a 10 pk of R&J Churchills tubed). I smoked a young 46 and was more then plesantly surprised! I'll smoke them young without a problem but I hope to find the willpower to let them age. Kinda doubt it tho! ;)

The Monarchs are good, I have about 6 left out of a 4 year old box,they're good but a bit one dimensional.

The #2 was another stick that really surprised me. With all my recent problems with Monte #2's, the Upmann surpassed the Monte 2 by quite a bit! Hell I'll take a San Cristobal La Punta over a Monte 2 nowadays! But I digress, the prices on the Mag 46 right now are too hard to resist! I can't wait for that bird to land!

Yeah, I have a one year old box of Monte #2's, but I want to add to my collection of larger smokes, hence the desire to get a box of Upmann #2's. I've also been wanting to get a box of PSP2's, but that will have to wait a bit. I have a box of PSD 4's, but I think I missed the window because I had one out of the box and it was quite flat. I put them back in the depths of my humi and will wait it out until they come back around. I also look forward to the Mags coming! :thumbs:

I'll take a fiver of those Upmann 2's off yer hands if it'll help! :thumbs:

Ok boys here is my opinions of some of my favorite Upmann cigars. This line is one of my favorites and I stock more of this line than any other.

The Upmann Super Corona is way better than the Mag 46 in my opinion, but as said above almost impossible to find. I loaded up last time they became available and have enough to last for years. lol

The Upmann 2 is the best torpedo coming out of Cuba and has been for many years. I am a big fan of Monte 2's but the Upmann beats it in my opinion. The May 2000's have just become ready to smoke and the 01's are almost there. Do not smoke this cigar young,it will be boring and mild. This cigar gains flavor and strength the longer you age it.

The Upmann Lonsdale is a fantastic cigar when you can find some that are not plugged. What is left on vendors shelves right now as mentioned above is not worth buying unless the vendor is willing to give a 100% money back gaurantee.

The Upmann Monarch is a great churchill that is strong and complex.It also takes over 6 years for them to develop into what they are intended to be. They have more nose than the Sir Winston but a tad less complex. For the huge difference in price I have boxes of Monarchs and only half a box of 98 Sir Winstons left. I do not plan on buying anymore SW's.

The Upmann Corona is a cigar that is also very difficult to obtain. The 2000's are smoking great right now, medium nose with nice earthy sweetness. They are a very small production and I think are on the discontinued list. I smoked a few boxes of 98's and they were awesome, I am pissed I didn't save at least one box.

Upmann Petite corona is very similar to the corona, medium strength and very complex.

Upmann Conn 1, probably the best most overlooked robusto on the market. Earthy and sweet typical Upmann flavor profile with some very nice nose. The JM NOSU's that are still available are fantastic.

Upmann Corona Major A/T hand rolled from ECA 02 are smoking very nicely right now. For the money one of the best values on the market. They are a bit one dimensional but they do have the Upmann flavor profile and for 4 bucks a pop tough to beat.

In my opinion Upmann gets the best tobacco outside of Cohiba. They have been very consistent throughout the years and can be found with some decent age if you stay away from the Mag 46's.

Great Topic theorangeman!

A very knowlegeable and indepth reply post The Master. Great opinions and insite to the variations of this label. I personally love the pc's strength and delivery of flavor. But you have really peeked my interest on a few of the other sizes I may have been overlooking. Thanks for the replypost!