• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Grow Your Own

duglynukem

Nuclear Advocate
I have this plan to grow, age and roll my own. The grow part is complete and aging is in progress. Now to find a press and learn to roll.

tobaccoplant.jpg

That's pretty cool! I guess I assumed we wouldn't be able to get tobacco to grow very well with our climate.

Very cool, keep us posted on how it's coming along. Rob, for a mere $20K you could purchase an acre of land near you and experiment. :)

I once grew a large amount of tobacco of different varieties (about 25 plants). Beautiful plant, however I never got into rolling. I look forward to seeing your results! Good luck.

I would like to try it too. Where do you find the seeds for your garden?

Seedman.com

I grew a bunch a few years back.. that's the easy part, curing it ... I didn't make it that far.

Way cool! I'm sure most of us have thought about doing this at one point or another. I know I have. I look forward to seeing your progress. If you're looking for presses, there is a guy on fleebay that makes them. They appear to be fairly decent quality; atleast from what I can tell.

I imagine after you go through the process of growing and rolling your own, $10 for a cigar seems like a good deal!

Thats a pretty looking plant. Please keep us updated, I have always been interested in growing my own.

I had about 10 plants, a couple years back, but the I couldn't control the damn hookworms at all.

Nicely done! Did you save the flower/seed pods, to plant next year?

I had about 10 plants, a couple years back, but the I couldn't control the damn hookworms at all.

Nicely done! Did you save the flower/seed pods, to plant next year?

Depending on how well I do with this small crop, and how good the tobacco smokes, I would probably plants sets again next year. If its not good, I will look into different varieties.

I would like to try it too. Where do you find the seeds for your garden?

Lots of retailers online, but these came to me as young seedlings from a friend of my daughter that has a tobacco farm.
What variety is that?

I'm with you. What seed are you using?

I was told it was "Dark Virginia". The plant is hardy and a fast grower. A good plant for the beginner.
The growing and harvesting are the easy parts, now the adventure starts. :) How have you been doing the color curing?

This curing is the hard part when growing tobacco in a cold climate. The tobacco is hanging in a heated shed and since it is cold and dry here now, it gets misted every other day to keep the leaves slightly moist. This has been a challenge. The leaves are starting to yellow but it is taking much longer than I expected.