• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Golf handicap (long read)

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
I am leaving tomorrow to go on a 4 day go trip with old friends and a dilemma arose a couple days ago which reminded me that 95% of amateur golfers don't really know what handicap means. The dilemma was that the host was going to allow me to play form the senior tees (because I'm old) with the same handicap as I would from the white tees and I it took a while for me to explain why that wasn't fair.

I thought I might help others understand the mystery around golf handicap.

COURSE RATING AND SLOPE RATING:
Since course rating and slope rating factor into a lot of other discussions, I will explain those first. Simply put, the course rating is a representation of the difficulty of a particular course for a scratch golfer (someone who averages par), and the slope rating is a representation of the difficulty for a bogey golfer. 113 is the low end average slope rating so the higher you go above 113, the more difficult that course is for bogey golfers. The bigger the difference between par and course rating is a representation of how difficult a course is for scratch golfers. I honestly don't know where the 113 came from as a reference but it all works. For example, a par 72 course with a course rating of 68.1 is a very easy course for a scratch golfer and conversely, a par 70 course with a course rating of 74.2 is a very difficult course for a scratch player. Keep in mind that, on average, a scratch golfer would shoot 8 strokes different, against par, on these two course, for example he may shoot 4 under par on the easy course and 4 over par on the difficult course.

HANDICAP INDEX:
Every golfer who plays in USGA events must have a handicap index which is a way to rate golfers of differing ability. For example, most people think their handicap is the difference between what they shoot and par and that is not true (look at the example above). A golfer who averages 76 on his home course of 5800 yards and par 72 is a very different golfer than a player who averages 76 at Firestone South where the par is 70 and the length is 7400 yards. The formula for calculating handicap index is as follows.................. (your 18 hole score minus the course rating), (times 113 (average slope rating), (divided by the slope rating of the course you played). If you shot 85 on a simple course...........(85 - 64.7) x 113 / 116 your differential for that day = 19.8 . Your index is calculated by taking the 10 best of the last 20 rounds you played and averaging the differential.

If you average 85 on a course with a CR of 64.7 and a SR of 116 you are 20 handicap, if you average 85 on a course with a CR of 74.2 and a SR of 131, you are a 9 handicap.

Additionally, these discussions are all based on playing by USGA rules. So when you hear a guy say he is a 3 handicap because he shot 39 on the front nine, in his weekly league where the roll the ball everywhere, and give four foot putts, just know how big of a difference there is between that and a real 3 handicap golfer.

So to find your "course handicap" for the course you are playing on any given day, (to equate you to the other golfers), you multiply your index by the slope rating and divide by 113, then you add the course rating and subtract par. You do this for all golfers and it will give you the handicap for each golfer for that course. Don't worry, it's all done on an app.

To show how extreme this can be, If I play Firestone south from the championship tees (which is something like 7600 yards) I get 15 strokes on that course, the course I will play this weekend, which is a simple resort course (which is around 5900 yards), I will get 1 stroke.

HOLE HANDICAPPING:
Most people think that the number one handicap hole on the score card represents the hardest hole on the course and that is not true. The hole by hole handicapping is done for the simple purpose of betting and the #1 handicap hole is the hole which creates the biggest delta between scratch golfers and bogey golfers. In reality, the #1 handicap hole is often a very easy hole for a scratch golfer but may have a long carry over water, trouble such as OB, sand traps, or simply distance that makes the hole hard for a bogey golfer to score well.

THE GUYS YOU SEE ON TV:
To give you an idea how good the guys are that you see on TV, I qualified to play in the 1998 US Amateur qualifier and to do that you had to have a "certified" 1.7 handicap index or better. Certified meaning that a class "A" PGA pro had to attest to my handicap being real. At the dinner the night before the event, they told us that qualifying to play in this event meant that we were in the top 1000th of 1% of all amateur golfers. At that time, I was a 1.2 index and Tiger Woods was a + 9.7 meaning he would typically beat me by 11 strokes if we played together. The top players in the world are, far and away, the greatest professionals at their sport.

Take all of the formulas and calculations from above and divide by your zip code and you will see why we drink beer when we play golf!

I have this conversation every other round or so because so many people don't know how to score for keeping track of their handicap. Alot of the issues come from what people think they can take as a "max" on a given hole. The rules change last year by the usga make it easy, but some people I play with still just think they can only take a net double when recording their score; but that is not the case on every hole.

I believe that If, based on your course handicap, the max you can take is net double plus 1 if you get a stroke on that hole; meaning a net triple. Is that correct Mr. rules guru?

I have this conversation every other round or so because so many people don't know how to score for keeping track of their handicap. Alot of the issues come from what people think they can take as a "max" on a given hole. The rules change last year by the usga make it easy, but some people I play with still just think they can only take a net double when recording their score; but that is not the case on every hole.

I believe that If, based on your course handicap, the max you can take is net double plus 1 if you get a stroke on that hole; meaning a net triple. Is that correct Mr. rules guru?
I will have to look that up because everything has changed since I play competitively. My max was double bogey gross.

Edited to add the new World Handicap System......so my max is still double bogey. It is not net, but actual score. These numbers usually only come into play in USGA competitive play, or at a country club where everything is tracked for club standings.

This is done to stop the guy who is 4 over par after hole #16, has won his match, and then magically take a 10 and 11 to protect his handicap.

Course HandicapMaximum Score
Nine or lessDouble bogey
10-197
20-298
30-399
40 and above10

Link

Last edited:
I will have to look that up because everything has changed since I play competitively. My max was double bogey gross.

Edited to add the new World Handicap System......so my max is still double bogey. It is not net, but actual score. These numbers usually only come into play in USGA competitive play, or at a country club where everything is tracked for club standings.

This is done to stop the guy who is 4 over par after hole #16, has won his match, and then magically take a 10 and 11 to protect his handicap.

Course HandicapMaximum Score
Nine or lessDouble bogey
10-197
20-298
30-399
40 and above10

Link
That is what it used to be and I used for years....But I thought it changed?
https://www.usga.org/content/usga/h... Maximum Hole Score for Handicap Purposes.htm

About is what I thought they changed the rules to in order to make it easier calculating for all handicap levels.

Interesting, I've always used the table Jeff posted (aka 7 for me, which can be brutal on a par 3! 😂).

I didn't keep a cap last year, but I've never seen Greg's. 😉

A lot of people say that a major league batter is the most talented hand-eye coordination in sports but let's look at a few facts:
  1. The batter gets two failed attempts to even contact the ball if needed, the batter may hit several balls out of the field of play and they simply don't count, the average major league ball park encompasses 109,000 square feet, and the measurement of success is 30%.
  2. The professional golfer must connect on every swing or be penalized, the target they aim for with an approach shot is approximately 4-6 square feet, and if they do not succeed at 90% or better, they are not going to compete.
In my humble opinion, for the speed and spinning of the baseball to over-ride the precision of a golf shot the batter would get one pitch only, would have to tell us exactly where he was going to hit it, and succeed at it at least 70% of the time.

A lot of people say that a major league batter is the most talented hand-eye coordination in sports but let's look at a few facts:
  1. The batter gets two failed attempts to even contact the ball if needed, the batter may hit several balls out of the field of play and they simply don't count, the average major league ball park encompasses 109,000 square feet, and the measurement of success is 30%.
  2. The professional golfer must connect on every swing or be penalized, the target they aim for with an approach shot is approximately 4-6 square feet, and if they do not succeed at 90% or better, they are not going to compete.
In my humble opinion, for the speed and spinning of the baseball to over-ride the precision of a golf shot the batter would get one pitch only, would have to tell us exactly where he was going to hit it, and succeed at it at least 70% of the time.
Golf ball also isn't coming at you at 100 mph while you're trying to hit it. Both are incredibly difficult, not sure how you could really say one over the other.

Golf ball also isn't coming at you at 100 mph while you're trying to hit it. Both are incredibly difficult, not sure how you could really say one over the other.
While the ball is coming at 100 MPH and curving, the numerous attempts the batter gets to hit it anywhere in a 109,000 square foot area with 30% being the measure of success, tells me pretty clearly which is more impressive.

While the ball is coming at 100 MPH and curving, the numerous attempts the batter gets to hit it anywhere in a 109,000 square foot area with 30% being the measure of success, tells me pretty clearly which is more impressive.
You missed your calling as a lawyer, Jeff; you'll argue anything! 🤣

Baseball is hard, but hockey has to be the one. Skating at speed trying to shoot a hockey puck, is the hardest. The hand eye coordination factor with the speed and skating skills are crazy. I always hit the the damn windmill so my handicap varies from course to course.

You guys are all wrong!!! These are the gods of sport!! Imagine playing a sport that 99.99% of the world has no idea it even exists until the Winter Olympics happen, and then forgets about it the very next day.
4199041B-90BC-417A-B842-4EC85B2D85BF.jpeg

You guys are all wrong!!! These are the gods of sport!! Imagine playing a sport that 99.99% of the world has no idea it even exists until the Winter Olympics happen, and then forgets about it the very next day.
View attachment 44303
The Qualifying for Olympics in Curling is held in Omaha. Everyone should come down for a Herf and watch.. wait what were we talking about again?